Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
nathanrsafti
Influencer
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Nathan

[V12 P20230412] Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Cannot find available gateway server

Post by nathanrsafti »

Case 05878826 has already been open for this, as it seems to be a different symptom of the same issue in V12 GA that wasn't resolved in P20230412.

If my repository server does not have any Linux backup proxies attached, Direct works fine. When my repositories have Ubuntu 22.04 proxies attached and are set to Direct, S3 offloads now fail right away with the above error message. When I choose 'Gateway', with all of the Linux proxies and repository server selected, S3 offloads work fine. There is some difference in processing Direct vs Gateway offloads to S3 even though two support engineers have told me there should be no functional difference between the two.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: [V12 P20230412] Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Cannot find available gateway server

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to be clear... what means "attached"? Is that when you have Linux proxies configured in the backup job?

Agree with support, that should work.

The case is currently "on hold", but should be escalated ("talk to manager" button in my.veeam.com) once you are ready.

Best regards,
Hannes
nathanrsafti
Influencer

Re: [V12 P20230412] Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Cannot find available gateway server

Post by nathanrsafti »

Sorry for the verbiage. When I say "attached", I just mean added as a VMWare backup proxy to assist with backup compression and such.

I will escalate the case, I wasn't aware I needed to do something on my end to escalate it.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

no problem, I just wanted to make sure that there is nothing I overlooked :-)

Well, it depends on the support engineer... we are all humans...
sysinfma
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by sysinfma »

Hello,

we just had the same problem after upgrading from v11 to v12.
After a few hours and a million rescans, manually selecting the allowed proxy and rebooting it does work now. Unfortunately I don't know what did the trick.
I had a similar problem with another client and the same uncertain "solution" made things work again. V12 seems to be anything but still not more than a beta.
dips
Veeam Legend
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Dipen N Kumar

Post by dips »

Which version of Veeam are you running @sysinfma?
DeanCTS
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dean Anderson

Post by DeanCTS » 1 person likes this post

nathanrsafti wrote: Apr 17, 2023 3:51 pm Case 05878826 has already been open for this, as it seems to be a different symptom of the same issue in V12 GA that wasn't resolved in P20230412.

If my repository server does not have any Linux backup proxies attached, Direct works fine. When my repositories have Ubuntu 22.04 proxies attached and are set to Direct, S3 offloads now fail right away with the above error message. When I choose 'Gateway', with all of the Linux proxies and repository server selected, S3 offloads work fine. There is some difference in processing Direct vs Gateway offloads to S3 even though two support engineers have told me there should be no functional difference between the two.
You need to make sure you've updated the gateway component separately after upgrade to V12 as the installer doesn't update components such as Backup Proxy, Gateway, Managed Server, Agent / Repository, or it just doesn't do it right. If you click edit / properties on each separate component / server and just click next to finish in the wizard, they will get updated for sure.
lsdunek
Lurker
Full Name: lsdunek

Post by lsdunek » 2 people like this post

Hello,

I just created this account to share my solution:

I created a ticket and the support send me this link:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Basically, I had to go to Backup Infrastructure -> Backup Repositories -> Right-Click and choose Properties on the repository belonging to the failing job

Then, go to Share and Choose a specific Gateway Server.

After choosing a specific one, Veeam just ran the backup job without any issues again.

Hope this helps someone and have a nice day.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello @lsdunek,
welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing you how you solved it.

Can you maybe share the support case number? Because support provided a workaround, but not a real solution. The product is designed to work with "automatic selection" and selecting a specific gateway is optional.

Best regards,
Hannes
sysinfma
Enthusiast

Post by sysinfma » 1 person likes this post

DeanCTS wrote: Apr 25, 2023 1:19 am You need to make sure you've updated the gateway component separately after upgrade to V12 as the installer doesn't update components such as Backup Proxy, Gateway, Managed Server, Agent / Repository, or it just doesn't do it right. If you click edit / properties on each separate component / server and just click next to finish in the wizard, they will get updated for sure.
Yes, but even after repeating this over and over again it did not work – until I rebooted the server.
sysinfma
Enthusiast

Post by sysinfma » 1 person likes this post

lsdunek wrote: Apr 25, 2023 10:50 am Hello,

Basically, I had to go to Backup Infrastructure -> Backup Repositories -> Right-Click and choose Properties on the repository belonging to the failing job

After choosing a specific one, Veeam just ran the backup job without any issues again.

Thanks, this confirms that it wans't the millon rescans I tried, but the fact that I also tried setting a specific gateway. And yes, when switching back to automatic gateway selection it breaks again.
nathanrsafti
Influencer

Post by nathanrsafti » 1 person likes this post

DeanCTS wrote: Apr 25, 2023 1:19 am You need to make sure you've updated the gateway component separately after upgrade to V12 as the installer doesn't update components such as Backup Proxy, Gateway, Managed Server, Agent / Repository, or it just doesn't do it right. If you click edit / properties on each separate component / server and just click next to finish in the wizard, they will get updated for sure.
I always update the components post-upgrade. I tried your edit / properties method and it did not solve the issue for us.
theprojectgroup
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Florian Obradovic

Post by theprojectgroup »

Thanks - Manually selecting the gateway in the repo worked for us!
telx
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by telx »

This worked for us too.

Multiple clients all upgraded to the latest v12. Automatic Gateway Server is broken. Selecting manually from the list allows it to work again.
totoche
Novice
Full Name: Totoche

Post by totoche »

Hello,
To the message : "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Cannot find compatible gateway server for repository"
I selected the affinity proxy and the error appeared.
I put direct then re-selected a gateway server and this problem disappeared.
Pond
Lurker

Post by Pond »

works for me.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

The automatic gateway selection issues known to date were fixed in the latest update (P20230718 www.veeam.com/kb4420). If you still see issues with this update installed, please post the support case number.
ManfredS
Lurker
Full Name: Manfred Schenk

Post by ManfredS »

Latest Build installed, same error. After changing to manual Gateway Server, its working
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. Can we please get the support case number for further investigations?

Best regards,
Hannes
djbo
Novice
Full Name: David Valverde

Post by djbo »

hello,

To solve the problem of the GW being left pending, what I did was uninstall the INSTALLER SERVICE of version 12 and install the INSTALLER SERVICE of version 11 in all the proxies and in the VBR, after this I no longer have issues.
Waiting for the patch for version V12.1 to fix it.

Greetings.