Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
wlr3
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: william richardson

Using AWS Glacier for quarterly backups

Post by wlr3 » 1 person likes this post

Hello all,

Firstly, let me say that in my opinion Veeam is the most impressive technology company and has been for many years. The quality of design, engineering and QA is unmatched.
I've been using it for over 10 years and have never been disappointed. Thank you.

What I'd like to achieve is to dump a copy of every VM to Glacier, keep it for 90 days and then delete and do it again every 90 days. Is this possible with Veeam currently?

I realize that with v11 you can't use Glacier directly as a backup/copy target and that I'd have to use a SOBR archive tier. I can't seem to wrap my head around how to get the result I want. It seems to me that any job using that SOBR would write to the performace tier, capacity tier and archive tier as well as writing incrementals, which is not what I want. Am I missing something?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Using AWS Glacier for quarterly backups

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
thanks, we are glad to hear that :-)

Your understanding is correct and confirmed in the FAQ

Maybe using the Amazon VTL with Glacier in background can help. In V12 (planned somewhen 2022, no timeline available yet), you can write directly to (the cheapest) object storage you can find, but even there, it is required to land on normal object storage first.

Best regards,
Hannes
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Good use case for direct to Glacier support ​@veremin.

Need to think how this can be implemented though, I can't see any straightforward ways of configuring this dump. Sounds like it would require adding some sort of "backup filtering" functionality to Backup Copy job, to make it only process backups with certain GFS flags while ignoring other.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Took a note, agree that currently there is no straightforward implementation that comes to mind besides the one mentioned, but we will review it internally and see what else me might figure out.