Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
GreenAlpha55
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

v10 feature implementation guidance

Post by GreenAlpha55 »

This is more of a general question on how we should begin to start using v10 features that we've eagerly been waiting for.
Features looking to implement: Backup Job GFS, Object Storage Copy mode

Our main datacenter backup job contains 180 daily restore points (6 months worth) on a SOBR. We are looking to implement GFS on the backup job and use AWS S3 object storage copy mode. I'm having trouble understanding how I trim back the 180 restore points to 60, enable GFS, and enable S3 copy, all while not creating a gap in backups where we're exposed within the previous 6 months, and controlling S3 spend (this is the trick). I've ran through a few scenarios but I feel like I'm missing something or overthinking this.

Scenario 1: $$$
Step 1-Enable GFS
Step 2-Enable S3 copy (copy latest backup chains only)
Step 3-AWS S3 starts populating going forward
Step 4-Wait until GFS backups reach 6 months back then reduce restore points to 60.

In scenario 1, AWS spend would increase rapidly due to the 180 restore points and GFS points being pushed to AWS S3. Once 6 months is hit, restore points would be cut to 60. This means 120 restore points would be instantly trimmed and AWS spend would decrease sharply.

Scenario 2: $
Step 1-Enable GFS
Step 2-Wait until GFS backups reach 6 months back then reduce restore points to 60.
Step 3-Enable S3 copy (copy all existing backups)
Step 4-AWS S3 has all backups copied

In scenario 2, AWS spend would spike sharply but as expected, however, we will have to wait 6 months until utilizing AWS S3 copy.

How do I maintain 6 months of backups without copying 180 restore points to AWS S3 and incurring large AWS spend with no GFS points available?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: v10 feature implementation guidance

Post by veremin »

What if you initiate a new active full backup for backup copy job, then, enable copy mode and pick the latest chain option (the latest full backup, in other words)?

After 60 days, you can lower retention policy.

Thanks!
GreenAlpha55
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by GreenAlpha55 »

Are you saying to create a new backup copy job? I didn't mention a backup copy job in the original post.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Ah, I've misread the original post, but good news - the job type does not matter here. You can start new active full backup for the said job, then, enable copy mode and select the latest chain option. This way, only restore points starting from the latest full backup will be offloaded to object storage.

On the 60th day, you can lower the retention period.

Thanks!
Ryker71
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by Ryker71 »

Hi,
In v9.5 we have a backup copy job to SOBR (via Azure blob). As we upgraded to v10, our objective now is to eliminate the backup copy job then implement both the "copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created" and "move backups to object storage..." options. Do we need to create a new/separate SOBR?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

I supposed you could just modify your existing SOBR settings enabling the copy policy, point your primary backup jobs there, and disable Backup Copy jobs?