Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
cip2013
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

VBR Config Backups to Object Storage

Post by cip2013 »

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about using a separate S3 compatible bucket to store our configuration backups. Not sure if this is recommended or even possible. I did some testing and it is able to write the configuration backup to the bucket without any issues. When I attempt to do a test restore of the config, I get an error message that states "Six-digit confirmation code is required". Any idea as to why it can write to the repo fine, but needs a code to retrieve it? Oh, and it doesn't prompt me for a code anywhere.

Thank you.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: VBR Config Backups to Object Storage

Post by Mildur »

Hello Len

Yes, this is possible in V12 and later.
Since v12.1, you can also made them immutable on object storage.
When I attempt to do a test restore of the config, I get an error message that states "Six-digit confirmation code is required". Any idea as to why it can write to the repo fine, but needs a code to retrieve it? Oh, and it doesn't prompt me for a code anywhere.
Do you have a screenshot of this message?
I assume it could be our multifactor authentication logon window you see. Did you had enabled MFA on the backup server?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 122 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Post by sfirmes »

@cip2013 the instructions to create an immutable backup can be found here: create an immutable configuration backup
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
cip2013
Enthusiast

Post by cip2013 »

Thanks Steve, but creating the backup isn't an issue. Restoring the backup seems to be a problem. I don't need it immutable at this point, it's just PoC. I just want to see if I can back it up and restore it.

Hi Fabian,
MFA is enabled on the backup server, but it doesn't prompt me to to enter the MFA code. Sorry I can't seem to upload a screenshot with the response, but all it says is "Six-digit confirmation code is required" with an "OK" button. Also, it doesn't prompt me if I use a backup created on a local repo.
cip2013
Enthusiast

Post by cip2013 »

Not sure if it matters, but it's version 12.0.0.1420
sfirmes
Veeam Software

Post by sfirmes »

@cip2013, I was able to successfully perform a configuration database restore using VBR 12.0.0.1420 using S3 compatible storage for the repository that stored the configuration backup. I also had MFA enabled for the VBR server and the configuration backup was encrypted.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the scenario you describe above.

I wanted to check that you verified the configuration database restoration prerequisites were met.

Specifically these two:

I will continue to try to reproduce the message you noted above and will update this thread if I am able to.
cip2013
Enthusiast

Post by cip2013 »

Hi Everyone,

I was able to get this working. I opened a ticket with support and they informed me that MFA needs to be disabled in order to restore the configuration. I was kind of annoyed about having to do this, but after you disable it, you can re-enable it without having to re-register your OTP app. That makes it easier to deal with.

Hope this helps others that might run into the same situation. Thanks for everyone's input on this.
sfirmes
Veeam Software

Post by sfirmes »

@cip2013 thanks for the update. I tested both with MFA enabled and disabled. With MFA enabled I got the following error: Image

Once I turned off MFA, I was able to procede with the configuration database restore.

If you wish to continue to use MFA, please re-enable it.