Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
khanee130
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Asad Khan

Veeam SOBR offload Speed to Azure Blob

Post by khanee130 »

Hi

We are currently implementing a solution to offload our backups to Azure Blob storage, this solution would be to replace our current backup to tape.

Our current rate of change daily is around 12TB and our internet pipe is a dedicated 10GB. We are really struggling to get more than 200-300MB/s offload speeds which would mean we wouldnt be able to offload all that data in the allocated time.

Even using azcopy to mimic the veeam process of offloading multiple small files is showing slow speeds. Is this a limitation of Azure blob storage ?

Using StorageExplorer and copying a single large file we see the results that we want, 4GB+

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam SOBR offload Speed to Azure Blob

Post by Gostev »

Hello - yes, it is this a limitation of Azure blob storage. There are different engines used on the backend: for large objects, Azure switches to "high throughput block blobs". Thanks!
khanee130
Novice

Post by khanee130 »

Thanks! Do you know if its possible to get better speeds on S3 ? We are still early in the project so could look to using AWS.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Well, I don't remember hearing similar complaints about AWS, so it is definitely worth a try. The reason I know these details above is because similar complaints for other Veeam users made me contact the Azure Blob Storage team at Microsoft one year ago, and they shared this information with me.
khanee130
Novice

Post by khanee130 »

OK Thanks so much! We will try AWS