Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tsauter
Novice
Liked: never

Replication background question

Post by tsauter »

Hi,

I have question regarding the replication of a virtual machine and failed replication jobs.
Let's assume I have successfully replicated vm machine (VMware) TEST to another datastore TEST_replica on Monday.
During the week every day the machine get successfully replicated by a scheduled job.

On the next Saturday the replication job failes, network interruption during the replication phase. What happens with the replicated machine TEST_replica? Does is still contains the old valid replication content or is the machine damaged?
How do you handle such very instabled replicatin jobs?

Thx.
Thorsten
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication background question

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Thorsten,

When replication job fails, the latest VM state will not be valid, however you can select any previous restore point for failover. To address these kind of issues during replication jobs, it is recommended to have multiple restore points.

Thanks!
tsauter
Novice
Liked: never

Post by tsauter »

I have configured my replication job to keep 7 restore points.
Does this mean the machine will keep 7 *valid* restore points or just 7 at all. Or in other words, I need to know, by validating the Veeam log, which restore point is valid. And if the last 7 jobs will fail they will overwrite my good restore points?

Thanks for clarify this!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Retention policy is applied at the end of the successful job run only. So you will always have the specified amount of good restore points available (even if you have months of failing replicas).