Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ajtsystems
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Bennett

Full backup with no incremental and just 1 copy

Post by ajtsystems »

Hi,

I'm trialling a copy of Backup & replication and have found I have a requirement to create a full backup on my drive every week. Because space is quite restricted each full backup needs to overwrite the previous full backup and I don't want any incremental backups.

I can't find anything in the schedule, however on the storage tab of the job would setting Restore Points to keep on disk to 1 give me this option? Also in advanced settings within storage I have selected Reveresed Incremental as there are no ways to turn incremental off. Below this I have selected to Perform active full backup periodically - weekly.

Mmm bit confused really, is there a simple way or can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Full backup with no incremental and just 1 copy

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello James,
ajtsystems wrote: Because space is quite restricted each full backup needs to overwrite the previous full backup
Removing the entire backup chain (overwriting Full and all incrementals) before running the backup job is really bad practice, as you might find yourself in a situation when previous full is removed and no new backups have been created.
ajtsystems wrote:I can't find anything in the schedule, however on the storage tab of the job would setting Restore Points to keep on disk to 1 give me this option?
If you're using forward incremental backup mode, then setting this option to 1 would allow you to keep only 1 full VBK file, but in addition to this setting you have to enable transform option.
ajtsystems wrote:Also in advanced settings within storage I have selected Reveresed Incremental as there are no ways to turn incremental off
Do you need to run your job only once a week? If you want to disable incremental job runs, then you should check the day of active full via advanced settings and schedule your job to run once a week.

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Also, the rotated drives scenario can be applied here. You can schedule the script to remove the existing backup prior to creating a new full and use the registry key mentioned in the referred thread to avoid job failure.
ajtsystems
Novice

Post by ajtsystems »

Thanks for your reply Vitaly S. Just so you know I am running another backup job that is running Full plus incremental backups daily to a local iSCSI drive. The reason I am requiring a full backup weekly is because I am copying this backup off site via a VPN, so need to minimize file change and file size as much as possible.

The reason the full job will only run weekly is because it will probably take a week to copy the file off site via my 100mb leased line. I need to test this out though, if it takes 3 days then I can increase my backup frequency

This makes sense now, thanks for you help :-)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The reason I am requiring a full backup weekly is because I am copying this backup off site via a VPN, so need to minimize file change and file size as much as possible.
Hi, James, have you considered running backup copy job, instead? Thanks.
ajtsystems
Novice

Post by ajtsystems »

Hi Eremin,

My first thought was the backup copy Job, these sound good. The problem I have is that my current Full\Incremental daily job, because it runs daily doesn't give me enough time to complete the copy off site. This leaves me with the problem of what to copy in the copy job if I can't use my full\incrementals.

Can Veeam Powershell and just copy the flat VHD files straigh out of Hyper-V maybe, this is the only way I can think to do it.

Any help much appreciated....
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

James, if you're using forward incremental backup mode, then backup copy job will lock the latest restore point file only and will continue to run normally once the backup job triggers.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ajtsystems wrote:The problem I have is that my current Full\Incremental daily job, because it runs daily doesn't give me enough time to complete the copy off site. This leaves me with the problem of what to copy in the copy job if I can't use my full\incrementals.
You can pre-seed your backup copy job and then start transferring incremental files only.