Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fatp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Bonneau

Offsite backup provider with WAN Accelerator

Post by fatp »

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get an offsite provider with Wan accelerator since I am kinda limited on upload speed (capped at 10mbps). I did a couple of search but I cannot find anything yet. Is it me that is missing something or it should exists somewhere?

Thank you for your help and time!

Regards
Patrick
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Offsite backup provider with WAN Accelerator

Post by foggy »

Patrick, what WAN accelerator are you talking about? With Veeam B&R v7 you can set the target WAN Accelerator role to any Windows server installed on provider side and effectively use available bandwidth to copy your backups offsite.

Also, please take a look a this page for more info on how to reach the SP you need.
fatp
Novice

Post by fatp »

Hi

Thanks you for your answer foggy.

Yes, it is for Veeam B&R v7. I do not own any Windows servers outside of my office and I was wondering if any provider lide S3 or google cloud store were already providing cloud data with built-in veeam wan accelerator. That way, I would'nt have to get some windows licences + windows maintenance in order to get my data offsite.

Regards
Patrick
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Patrick, if you are thinking about a "shared" WAN Accelerator service directly offered by a Service Provider inside a remote backup solution, to my knowledge is something that cannot be done at the moment. Surely is a feature to be considered for the future thou.

As of now, a solution used by many is to deploy a Windows VM inside a service provider; reading at your post sounds like you already thought about this solution. In order to save on price of EBS disk for example, you can create a VM with a small disk and attach an S3 bucket as slave disk to that VM. Another option to save on price could be to poweroff that VM and start it only when a backup copy job is running, since Amazon is completely usable via API. I just found they also have their tools available for Powershell (http://aws.amazon.com/powershell/), there is really some space for some "weird" ideas :)

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
fatp
Novice

Post by fatp »

Wow fantastic replies so far!

I will try to setup S3 the way you mention it and let you know if I found anything else.

Thanks again!

Regards
Patrick