Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Frosty
Expert
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Stephen Frost

Connection via vCenter vs via ESXi Host (root)

Post by Frosty »

I have two backup jobs that I run which were specified to connect to an ESXi Host directly using 'root' account credentials, rather than the usual connection to vCenter which uses domain administrator credentials. They are the jobs which backup: (1) the vCenter VM; and (2) the Veeam Backup Server VM.

I'm doing password changes, and this involves changing the root account passwords on my ESXi hosts. So far so good.

What I can't find is anywhere in these two Backup Jobs where its obvious that I am backing them up via the ESXi host instead of via vCenter. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or is this information about the backup job just not visible anywhere in the Veeam management interface?

(I have found where the ESXi hosts are specified and the root account credentials are entered; I just can't find the corresponding bit in the backup jobs themselves).
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Connection via vCenter vs via ESXi Host (root)

Post by dellock6 »

It's in the VM selection. You probably registered first the specific ESXi in the infrastructure tree, so you were able to expand it and select those VMs.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Right, so the only place where you need to change the host password is the host properties window.
Frosty
Expert

Post by Frosty »

Understood. I guess what I am getting at is that there seems to be no visibility anywhere of whether the job was set up to connect via vCenter or whether it connects using root credentials to an individual host. Or have I missed that information somewhere perhaps non-obvious in the GUI ?

If its not displayed anywhere, can Veeam maybe take that on board as a request. Would seem to be a very minor change, but I would find it helpful to be able to know what for sure when I look at a particular job's Properties.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Frosty wrote:to connect via vCenter or whether it connects using root credentials to an individual host.
Actually it can be both at the same time, you can add VMs via vCenter Server connection and from the individual ESXi host to the same job.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Stephen, if your VMs are added to the job as individual objects, then, you can use the following script:

Code: Select all

$Job = Get-VBRJob -name "Name of your Job"
$Objects = $Job | Get-VBRJobObject 
Foreach ($Object in $Objects)
{
$Object | select name, {$_.Object.Host.Type}
} 
The script lists VMs, as well as, the type of connection via which they are added to the job (VC, ESX(i)).

Thanks.
Frosty
Expert

Post by Frosty »

Thanks for the script suggestion. Unfortunately it seems I cannot run it without doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of VBR. I don't normally use Powershell so have never installed that Veeam component. I tried re-running the original v7.0 installer to Modify the install by adding the powershell components, but that won't run because I've subsequently installed the latest VBR patches; the installer thinks a different version of VBR is installed and just won't run. So until a new version of VBR is released, it would seem that I am stuck.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You can make a new install on a different server, and move the configuration database files there.
Frosty
Expert

Post by Frosty »

Thanks for the suggestion Gostev. But it sounds like quite a lot of effort. I think I'll just wait for the 7.5 or 8.0 version and try to remember to install the Powershell stuff when I upgrade.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

the installer thinks a different version of VBR is installed and just won't run.
Just out of curiosity - what particular error did you have while trying to install PowerShell Snapin? Thanks.
Frosty
Expert

Post by Frosty »

Sorry, only just noticed your question. For background, I'm running VBR v7.0 R2a (7.0.0.771). The server is Windows Server 2008 R2 with all latest patches. The .ISO that I'm using to try to install the VBR Powershell components is build 7.0.0.690. When I run the SETUP.EXE and try to install, I get a message as follows:

Veeam Backup and Replication
Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To Configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remote Programs on the Control Panel.

If I then go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, then select Veeam Backup and Replication (which shows as v7.0.0.690), there is no option to Change, only an option to Uninstall.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Stephen, could you try to run the standalone snap-in setup file available in the Backup folder on the ISO image (BPS_x64.msi)? It should not check the patch version and be installed properly.
Frosty
Expert

Post by Frosty »

Thanks foggy,
I did look around on the .ISO yesterday and I noticed the "BPS" installer, wondering if it was the Powershell components. But I wasn't game to try it then, just in case I broke something (production server!).
I just tried running it now. I got as far as a screen where it offers me two options: Repair or Remove. But not an Install option. I am not 100% convinced I should try Repair just in case it breaks something.
This is my production backup server. I'm due to leave work in about 40 minutes for a long weekend. Don't want to break anything before I go!
Your thoughts?
Steve
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Well, you should go with the Repair option on Monday then. ;)
Frosty
Expert

Post by Frosty »

Installed and running happily now ... thanks!