Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
max0664
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Max

Restore from remote site

Post by max0664 »

Hi,

i have a question.
I have 3 remote sites. On site A i have the Veeam Server and a Hyper-V Cluster with a Storage for local Backup. On site B & C i have a Hyper-V Cluster with a Storage for local Backup.
The Hyper-V Cluster backup with onhost proxy and write to the local Backup Storage. It works well.
But what happen when i restore VM for site B or C. Get the traffic from the local Backup over the WAN to the Veeam Server (site A) and back again to the site B or C? Or have i a option for select a restore onhost Proxy?

Thx for a answer.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Restore from remote site

Post by Gostev »

Hi, the traffic will stay local in the remote site. Veeam server has purely management role, it does not take part in data transfer during VM backup or restore. Thanks!
jake1110
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jake Ernst

Re: Restore from remote site

Post by jake1110 »

Hey Max - Keep in mind, if you want to do a file level restore there WILL be a lot of traffic over your WAN as you pull data back from your remote site's B/C to site A. If you use Enterprise Manager to restore files with guest indexing enabled, it won't pull anything back to site A(but you have to index the VM's where FLR may be needed). If you're like me and have 250+ remote sites that backup locally(all sites have their own backup disk) and you attempt to do a restore from the Veeam B&R server, you will be waiting a while as it mounts the backup file locally to your A site. I'd prefer it work differently as my remote sites are connected via T1, but that's what I have to work with. Enterprise Manager usually works alright, but only gives you an option to restore a file in place or download locally to your own PC.

If you need to restore lots of files using the B&R server, I suggest using the "Other Guest Files (other OS)" option as that doesn't require you to use guest indexing and also doesn't have to mount the backup to your A site! Just my observations.