Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ECTF
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: davidjp

2nd Replica of VM over WAN

Post by ECTF »

Hi, hopefully you can offer your kind guidance ?

We currently have our VMware vsphere virtual machines replicated to a standby esxi box in a remote office on the same site connected via 1gb Ethernet. This works very well but the business is now stating we have to have an offsite location for replicas as well as the local replica.

firstly, is this possible to have 2 replica jobs per virtual machine going to 2 different esxi hosts? and secondly, the offsite replica will be going over fibre broadband to the offsite location 50MBPS up 15mbps down at the local site with 10mbps up and down at the offsite location. I presume I would need to implement the wan acceleration for this if achievable ?

Here's hoping you can offer some advice.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: 2nd Replica of VM over WAN

Post by foggy »

ECTF wrote:firstly, is this possible to have 2 replica jobs per virtual machine going to 2 different esxi hosts?
Yes, you can run several replication jobs against the same VM, no issues with that.
ECTF wrote:I presume I would need to implement the wan acceleration for this if achievable ?
Currently, WAN acceleration is only supported for backup copy jobs, not replication jobs. However, we are looking at supporting WAN acceleration for replication jobs as well in our future releases.
ECTF
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: davidjp

Post by ECTF »

Thanks for your swift reply foggy. Very much appreciated :)

at the moment Veeam 7 r2 is installed on a virtual machine on the standby esxi host on site. Would you recommend continuing to use this but add in a proxy at the DR site or implement a second veeam b& r server & proxy at the dr site which is responsible for just the offsite backups ?

I should also add that I will be completing the initial dr server replica's on site and then moving the dr esxi server to the offsite location.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The second approach is typically more preferable as it allows for automated failover via Veeam B&R console in case of DR situation affecting the entire source site. We do not charge for server installs anyway, so you can install as many as you like.