Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Backup Copy Job - Copy every / Continous mode

Post by frankive »

I am a little confused by the "Copy every" setting in the backup copy job. My impressions is that the it runs in continuous mode. So what does this copy every setting do and is there a best practice setting for this?
Lets say my customer A run a local backup at 06.00 P.M and it finished around 06.30 P.M. I want backup copy job to kick in (which it does fine) after this backup. How does the "copy every" setting fit in here?

I also have a another question: Is it possible to have 28 days retention on the backup copy job without keeping more than one full backup? The reason I asks is that our customer pay pr.GB for our service and if we have to keep a full backup file for every week it would theoretically be 4xthe price... :) Good business but not too far to our customer.

Hoping for some answers for these two questions. Otherwise I have to say the backup copy job seems to work very nice. Would be cool if we didn't have to a have a site to site von to each customer but I guess thats just how veeam works if we want the traffic to be secure.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job - Copy every / Continous mode

Post by foggy »

frankive wrote:I am a little confused by the "Copy every" setting in the backup copy job. My impressions is that the it runs in continuous mode. So what does this copy every setting do and is there a best practice setting for this?
Lets say my customer A run a local backup at 06.00 P.M and it finished around 06.30 P.M. I want backup copy job to kick in (which it does fine) after this backup. How does the "copy every" setting fit in here?
The "Copy every" interval is responsible for which of the available restore points is being copied. If you, say, set it to 3 days, backup copy job will pick a restore point for VM that is not older than 3 days and the subsequent backup copy job run for this VM will be triggered in 3 days.
frankive wrote:I also have a another question: Is it possible to have 28 days retention on the backup copy job without keeping more than one full backup?
Actually, since backup copy job is always incremental, it's chain always contains a single full VBK file (the first restore point in the chain).
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

so it will just pick one restore point during these three days? what about this "continuous" mode?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct. Continuous here means that once backup copy locates new restore points that match the specified "copy every" interval, it will start copying VM backup.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

For every copy interval, Backup Copy job copies only one restore point (the latest available). If the latest available restore point was already copied during the previous copy interval, the Backup Copy job will wait for the new restore point, and will start copying it immediately as it appears. This makes it continuous operation ("schedule-less").
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Aha, then I got it :)
Sorry for being a little slow there..!