Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kevin1979
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin

Large amount of data between server and VC

Post by kevin1979 »

I noticed that over the last 24 hours, 23 GB of data has been transferred between my VEEAM server and the Virtual Center server. Does anyone know why there would be that much data transfer happening? The Virtual Center server isn't being backed up but VEEAM is connected to it to find the VM's that it is supposed to back up.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Large amount of data between server and VC

Post by foggy »

Normally the amount of data transferred between vCenter and Veeam backup server is quite small (vSphere API queries, some control traffic). I wonder what is the size of your environment and the number of jobs targeted to that VC? Are you saying that this behavior is not typical and you had much less traffic previously?
kevin1979
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin

Post by kevin1979 »

I'm not sure if this is normal or not. My environment is fairly small. I have an instance of virtual center managing 8 data centers. The data centers are spread over the world and the Veeam server is in a datacenter that is not local to the VC server. There are 3 jobs that run every 4 hours.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Can you confirm that the traffic is related to the backup activity (occurs during backup jobs execution)? What is the total size of the data being backed up?