Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
atta
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Atta Kat

SQL AIR

Post by atta »

Hi,
Is AIR for SQL working in veeam 7? Hope that it will be posibble to restore individual databases in SQL with AIR in this version for Hyper-V and how to restore without using virual lab?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: SQL AIR

Post by tsightler »

If you're just wanting to restore the entire individual database you really don't need AIR at all. Just use SQL Management Studio to take the database offline, determine which files are used by this database (easily found in the Database Properties...Files menu), and then perform an FLR of the MDF and LDF files. Then bring the DB online.

AIR is used primarily for restoring individual tables/rows within a database.
atta
Enthusiast

Post by atta »

Thanks for the replay. But is it posibble to use AIR if I have 100 databases can I restore one with veeam and how to restore it without virtual lab?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

As Tom has already mentioned, you can restore individual databases using native FLR of the corresponding files. No AIR (and hence, virtual lab) is required in this case.
atta
Enthusiast

Post by atta »

Thanks for info but veeam can restore single databases (not talking here about AIR) if needed not whole server or? If I want to restore with Veeam to original/separete location can I do it?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yes, you can restore single database via FLR.
atta
Enthusiast

Post by atta »

Thank you
stoerlein_a
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andreas Stoerlein

Post by stoerlein_a »

I cannot understand that there is no more professional SQL Backup and restore Utility.

The possibilities of the U-Air-Wizard does not fit to Enterprise Needs. Why there is not a nice GUI like the Exchnage or SharePoint Wizard with all Features (like Tivoli TSM for SQL or the native SQL BAckup)

This makes us headaches...

Andi
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Andreas, we've already got a number of requests for implementing similar functionality for SQL Server granular restore, so this feature is definitely on our radar. Thanks for the feedback, anyway. Much appreciated!
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by trackstar »

foggy wrote:Andreas, we've already got a number of requests for implementing similar functionality for SQL Server granular restore, so this feature is definitely on our radar. Thanks for the feedback, anyway. Much appreciated!
I have been trying to do a restore using AIR and just noticed that single database restore with AIR isn't supported. For FLR restore, that means the native sql backup has to be used right? Just confirming.

Thanks,
TT
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

trackstar wrote:I have been trying to do a restore using AIR and just noticed that single database restore with AIR isn't supported. For FLR restore, that means the native sql backup has to be used right?
In order to restore single database, you can use Veeam FLR functionality.
claudiofolu
Enthusiast
Full Name: claudiofolu

[Merged] : Help with SQL item restore

Post by claudiofolu »

Hello,
I need some advice on a SQL restore. We are using Veeam 7.0 R2 to backup our SQL Server 2008 VMs. We follow the configuration guides, create the virtuallab, appliacation group, all went smooth, but when we raun the SQL Application Item Restore, in the wizard when we browse for the SQL Server, nothing shows up.
We have a couple of backups for this machine, so we are lost.

Any clues?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, I'm wondering whether you want to restore entire database or individual items. I'm asking since if your goal is to restore entire database, you can use FLR restore, instead of U-AIR.

Thanks.
claudiofolu
Enthusiast
Full Name: claudiofolu

Post by claudiofolu »

Hi, thanks for your reply.
We want to restore an individual item (tables). The question is why the SQL servers are not showing when we hit the Browse button in the AIR wizard
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you've followed the corresponding procedure correctly, and SQL server doesn't show up, then, the best way will be to open a case with the support team and let them investigate it directly.

Thanks.