Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mintyevertonian
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: fintan quinn

Backup Copy Space

Post by mintyevertonian »

Hi Guys,

Quick one

I need to clear space on a repository used for a backup copy job

Can I remove a .vib from a chain in the backup copy? I think this will cause the job to then fail...however it is failing anyway as there is no space available so I may have no choice but to move it all elsewhere anyway ?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy Space

Post by veremin »

Can I remove a .vib from a chain in the backup copy? I think this will cause the job to then fail?
Yes, it will.
however it is failing anyway as there is no space available so I may have no choice but to move it all elsewhere anyway ?
Yes, the best way would be to move existing files somewhere, and re-create backup copy job with required retention period.

However, if the situation is crucial, you can try the following workaround and see whether it helps or not:

1) Set 2 as a number of restore points backup copy job can keep.
2) In the backup copy job settings exclude every repository that can be found under "Source" tab. This way, the backup copy won't create any additional restore points.
3) Wait till the current interval is finished.

When current interval is finished, the backup copy job will merge existing restore points. Once it's done, there will be only 2 of them - 1 .vbk, 1 .vib.

It might happen that you won't gain any additional space, since .vbk will grow up significantly. Though, it depends solely on type of incremental files, whether there are new blocks stored or just variations of existing ones.

Thanks.