H-Milch
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: na

Time for Update service ???

Post by H-Milch »

:D Hello,

as much as I love veeam :D :D I hate the update process! :evil:
It takes hours to install the latest Uupdates of the whole veeam suite.

... and after that again houers to configure the programms again (define resetted allerts, proxys et.)

Please let me know if there is any possibility to improve this prozess. -> Update-Service? :?: :?: :?: :?: :roll:

THX
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Time for Update service ???

Post by Gostev »

H-Milch wrote:It takes hours to install the latest Uupdates of the whole veeam suite.
... and after that again hours to configure the programs again (define resetted allerts, proxys et.)
Hi Frank, are you sure you are talking about Veeam products updates here? Because our updates are fully automated, the whole process takes less than 5 minutes collectively (even if you really try hard to do everything as slowly as possible), and definitely does not require configuring the programs again - everything just keeps working. I update many of my own labs with each product update, so I know the experience first hand. Please, clarify what are you talking about here? Thanks...
H-Milch
Novice

Post by H-Milch »

Hello Anton,

OK - then please show me the "button" because obviously i am to stupid. Normaly I download the actual patch, read the actual release notes, confirm (or not) and install patch by patch. First Veeam Enterprice Server ... Licence File .... Veeam One ... licence File ... actual patches .... reboot ... start the software .... configure for example datastore latency warnings again ... for example. Is ther an other way?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Some steps you are listing are not present when applying patches. Are you perhaps talking about updating to major product releases, and not about patches? But even then, reconfiguring the products after update is never required (unless you run into some bug). We build all upgrades in the way that ensures the product keeps working without any changes in its behavior after the upgrade. We don't even enable cool new functionality during the upgrade to avoid ANY changes in the product behavior (for example, parallel processing or new compression algorithm are disabled if you upgrade to B&R 7.0, but enabled for new installs).
H-Milch
Novice

Post by H-Milch » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I am glad to hear that veeam plans the integration of an update notification service ;)

Thanks!
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert » 3 people like this post

I think it's a joke ;-)

Just find another backup product with such a smooth update/upgrade process where:
- it takes less than 10 minutes to apply a patch to the entire infrastructure, even if you have 10 proxies
- it takes less than 20 minutes to upgrade to the new version
- the backups and/or replication jobs are still working at the end

The only "slow" process in Veeam is when restoring the backup configuration because it rescan all the repositories and check all backup chains,

I'm working with the major backup software and I can trully see the difference between them. One of the advantage of Veeam is the install and update/upgrade process !

:D :D :D
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
H-Milch
Novice

Post by H-Milch »

Hello,

my last post is only a comment on the sunday forum-newsletter from gostev:

.... Since I have mentioned Patch #3 - we are planning to release it next month. This will be a regular patch addressing common issues we are seeing in support, and adding a few minor enhancements, such as the one mentioned above. We are normally trying to release patches once every 3 months: we consider that as the most optimal time frame between patch releases. We've heard from our users and partners that more frequent releases cause them to spend most time just planning and executing those upgrades. And with more rare releases, our support and partners begin to suffer from too many hot fixes to deal with. Another feedback we've been getting consistently is automated update availability notifications, we are planning to include this feature as an option in the next release as well......

in the end - that's a great decision!

:D