Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

Ran out of space, moved backup but getting unexpected eof

Post by kjstech »

We ran out of space on a backup repository so I copied the folder from one system to another. I went into the job and in the backup repository I selected the system I moved the files to. I'm getting an error:
failed to load backup meta file from
\\path\backup\vm2-sas\vm2-sas.vbm
Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: DiskId, Disk, COibAuxDataVmware, COibAuxData, AuxData, Pnt, VmPoints, BackupMeta. Line 1, position 249857.

I recopied the vm2-sas.vbm file again from the original datastore to the new location, both 244 bytes, and tried again (as if it was a bad file or bad copy) but I am getting the same thing.

Is there no way to move a backup from one datastore to another without stating over (because starting over takes forever and usually there isn't enough time in a backup window until the weekend).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Ran out of space, moved backup but getting unexpected eo

Post by Gostev »

Looks like your VBM is simply incomplete (due to volume running out of space), and thus unusable.
kjstech
Expert

Post by kjstech »

Ok I deleted it on the new storage and I want to put the backup on the new storage but it says "Move all backup files to the new backup repository first.". Well I deleted them so I would have space for my other backups and I realize since they no longer exist it should be smart enough to see that and do a full backup.

How can I get the job to write the full backup to a different storage array that has the space I require for this job?
kjstech
Expert

Post by kjstech »

I figured out I had to copy the job. In the copy I could specify a new backup location. Then I was able to delete the old job and rename the copy to match what the old job was named.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Glad you could manage the issue yourself. Here's, however, the step-by-step procedure on changing the repository, just in case.
kjstech
Expert

Post by kjstech » 1 person likes this post

Ok that is the procedure I was trying to do but it just would not "see" the backup file after re-scanning the repository. I suspect because the original repository ran out of space (absolute 0.0kb free) that the backup became corrupted.

Well last night the new copied job created a new full backup on the new repository so all is good.