Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
stingray75
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Matthew Ray

Custom alarm for monitoring Dell OpenManage events

Post by stingray75 »

Hi,

We use the Dell vCenter Plugin (now called OpenManage Integration for vCenter), which picks up hardware alerts from the iDRAC on Dell servers and raises alarms/events in vCenter. I'd like Veeam ONE Monitor to pick up these and raise its own alarms.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a 'catch-all' event for the Dell events and I don't want to create a rule for every Dell event. For example, the event for a storage controller issues is com.dell.plugin.event.1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10893.1.20.200.6.753. I know I can add this to Veeam, but I need to know the specific text for every Dell event, and maybe these numbers will change in future releases of the plugin. Also, there's no documentation from Dell on these event IDs.

Unfortunately there's no com.dell.plugin.event.warning event, which would be a nice catch-all. Can you use wildcards for the event name field, eg com.dell.plugin.event.* ?

An alternative would be to check for AlarmStatusChangedEvents, eg I get this in vCenter and see it in the events list in Veeam:

"Dell - Storage: Controller warning' on myesxserver.us.net.intra changed from Green to Yellow"

So I'd like to create a Veeam alarm called "Dell Hardware Issue" where event name is "AlarmStatusChangedEvent" and event text is "Dell" AND "to Yellow" for warning and "Dell" AND "to red" for error, but it seems I can only specify a single string. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Matt
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Custom alarm for monitoring Dell OpenManage events

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Matthew,

It should be possible to use wild cards for the event names, so if you specify something like this - "*dell*" then you should capture all the events you need.

Thank you!