Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

run two different backup software - asking for problems?

Post by frankive »

Hi.
I have a local installation of Veeam at a customer. This customer also has a online backup solution which also makes backup of sql, exchange and truncate their logs. At the same time my Veeam installation is also set to processing the logs.
What kind of issue could we run into by having two backup software, both doing incremental and truncating logs? Could we meet issue during a restore?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: run two different backup software - asking for problems?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Frank,

I don't believe you should have issues during restore operations, however can you please clarify what kind of backups your customer does with a 3rd party tool?

There is a couple of existing topics on this as well, please check them out: SQL: Do not truncate logs ignored and SQL Backup Jobs

Thank you!
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

They use Asigra which uses an agentless way to take f.ex backup of the exchange. It is suppose to be incremental but takes very long time and seems to go through the whole database for 12n to be able to take bakcup. Veeam uses 20 min. on the same exchangeserver.. Could be other issues of course.
As long as there are no potential restore problems you guys could think of I think we should be fine. I have also done a few restore of the exchangeserver in the lab and it works good. I have not tried to just restore the exchange database and rollup the logs though..
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well there definitely should not be any issues with Veeam restores, assuming all your backup jobs are successful.