Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Dave23
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave

Best practices for local and off-site backups

Post by Dave23 »

I am curious to how people are utilizing Veeam and their local and off-site storage for backups and replicated VMs. I am currently backing up 15 VMs (1.2TB) at my production site on a Windows Server as my repository. I am also replicating these VMs using the replication job to my ESX host off-site. I would like to have a copy of my backups off-site at the same location but I don't think it's ideal to have 3 jobs every day taking three snapshots of each VM (local backup, offsite backup, offsite replication). My Veeam B&R server actually runs at my offsite location. It makes to have it there because if my production site is down, I need a Veeam server to manage the failover process to my replicated VMs. I have proxies at both locations.

Thanks and I appreciate your feedback,

Dave
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Re: Best practices for local and off-site backups

Post by Gostev »

Dave23 wrote: I would like to have a copy of my backups off-site at the same location but I don't think it's ideal to have 3 jobs every day taking three snapshots of each VM (local backup, offsite backup, offsite replication).
Actually, our Backup Copy jobs (for off-site backup) do not take a VM snapshot. They obtain the data from local backup instead.