Management reporting and documentation
Michael.at.NIU
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Mattson

Dashboards and Reports

Post by Michael.at.NIU »

We are using the dashboards to give our users an excellent overview of the environment. For our "How many new VMs can be added..." dashboard, it's showing too few possible new VMs. When we view the full report, we are able to adjust the settings to what we like (More VCPUs per Host CPU, Higher Datastore Read/Write Rates, etc.) and it gives us numbers we find more accurate for our environment.

The question is, how do we get this into the Dashboard? If I save the report as a custom report, the only way to access it is with Report based widgets option, but it has no associated dashboard widget when selected.

Is there a way I can change the settings on the original or base report from which the dashboard is calculating its results?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Dashboards and Reports

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Michael,

Our predefined dashboards are using the default parameters that unfortunately cannot be overridden in the current release. To make this widget more accurate what parameters would you like to see in its configuration? The same list as we have in the report?

Thank you!
Michael.at.NIU
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Mattson

Post by Michael.at.NIU »

Yes, that would be great! Being able to adjust the base/original report with exclusions (just like making the custom report) that would then be displayed in the dashboard widget would be extremely useful.

Michael
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, let me discuss this capability with our dev team. I'm a bit worried about performance impact after introducing extra parameters to the widget ;)