Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Julien
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Julien L.

HP StorageWorks 1/8 (Ultrium 1)

Post by Julien » 2 people like this post

Dear All,

I am working on using the HP StorageWorks 1/8 Autoloader with Veeam.
This is not about the G2 autoloader on the unofficial list, this is about the first generation one, sometimes called just HP 1/8 or "G1" with an Ultrium 1 drive.

I am currently running some test but I thougt I could share what I have done so far to have it recognized by Veam 7 / Windows 2008 R2.
All is installed on a Physical server (HP ProLiant DL360 with a LSI Ultra320 SCSI adapter). Veam is Version 7 with update 7.0.0.771.R2a.

First you will need to make sure you have the latest Firmware for both Library and Drive. This is achieved by using the HP Library and Tape Tools version 4.10 (not the latest one, 4.16, I could not make it work).
If you don't have it a Google search with "hp_ltt410_win.exe" should give you plenty of sources (I could not find it on HP websites/FTP, the older one on the HP FTP is 4.12).
You will have to stop all Veeam services to avoid them interfering with the HP Tape Tool operations. The HP Tape Tool will download the latest available firmware (H45r for the Library, L33P for the Drive) if an update is required.

Once this is done, you need to change the drivers loaded by Windows Device Manager auto-detection.
- By default the Library is recognized as "Unknown Library". Change it by manually selecting the driver from the Windows 2008 R2 default driver list to : HP / HP Tape Library
- By default the Drive is recognized as "Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-1 Drive". Change it by manually selecting the driver from the Windows 2008 R2 default driver list to : LTO / LTO Drive (it won't work with the HP driver and Veeam throw a "WinApi function 'GetTapeParameters(ETapeInformation.Media)' failed, code '1'" Error)

Then you need to follow Veeam KB 1842: http://www.veeam.com/kb1842 to have the drive linked with the Library.

Veam should then be able to detect the Library and Drive :

So far I have successfully:
- Ran an inventory (correct names shown)
- Clean 4 tapes

I will continue my tests and report here.
Julien
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Julien L.

Re: HP StorageWorks 1/8 (Ultrium 1)

Post by Julien »

Update:
I did a quick backup and restore test from/to local files and everything went well.
Backup up 56.6GB at 16MB/s (bottleneck : target) in 63 minutes.

I will now test backup on multiple tapes.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Julien,
Thank you for the great post!
Backup up 56.6GB at 16MB/s (bottleneck : target) in 63 minutes.
File to tape performance is going to change in upcoming versions and, I hope, this would affect G1 media as well.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Good old Ultrium 1 (LTO1) has a maximum uncompressed transfer rate of 20MB/s anyway, so really, that's not too bad.