Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
raycarterin
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: raycarterrapid

Installing VeeamB&R on Hyper-V host

Post by raycarterin »

I have 2 stand alone hyper-v host. and all virtual machines are stored on local hard disk on hosts. now i am planing to install veeam B&R to backup my virtual machines. i just to want know whether i have to install on hyper-v host or i can install it on another machine which is in network. My both hosts are not in domain the are in WORKGROUP but in same network. is possible please let me know.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Installing VeeamB&R on Hyper-V host

Post by foggy »

Ray, you can install Veeam B&R on any machine in the network, including Hyper-V host itself. Please review the system requirements outlined in the release notes document available with your download. Thanks.
horst
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by horst »

If you have the possibility, to integrate another (backup-) server into your LAN to install Veeam B&R on this one, I would preferre this solution.

I have one 2012 Hyper-V Host with Veeam B&R 7 installed on it and in my opinion B&R isn`t working 100% correctly.
At the moment I still have a Problem with it (http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18022) wich couldn`t be solved by the Veeam Support so far. Last respond from the Support was, that the problem should be solved with one of the next patches for B&R 7. Fortunately the problem is only "cosmetically" for me.

Alternative you could install Veeam B&R in a VM on one of the Hyper-V hosts.
roksis
Novice

Post by roksis »

foggy wrote:Ray, you can install Veeam B&R on any machine in the network, including Hyper-V host itself. Please review the system requirements outlined in the release notes document available with your download. Thanks.
Hi, foggy.
I've installed B&R on Windows Hyper-V Server SP1. Installation completed without errors. But when I'm starting "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.Shell.exe" B&R shows it's logo for few seconds and displays this error: Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)). I've found this thread but there is no answer how fix this error. Can you help me, please?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hello, are you installing Veeam B&R on the Server Core installation? As stated in the topic you've referred to, installing Veeam B&R backup server on Server Core is not supported. Only backup proxy, backup repository, WAN accelerator, and Enterprise Manager components can be installed on Windows Server Core. Here is another topic on that.
roksis
Novice

Post by roksis »

Thnx for reply. Ok, next case. I have virtual machine "Win7x64" deployed (under MS Hyper-V Server Core) and Veeam B&R installed on "Win7x64". Can I backup virtual machine "Win7x64" with Veeam B&R which installed on virtual machine "Win7x64"? funny self backup, I know :mrgreen:
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yes, no issues with that.
roksis
Novice

Post by roksis »

Interesting and how virtual machine, on which installed B&R, will recover?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Not sure I understand the question... You can restore it like any other VM stored in the repository.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to backup your Veeam backup server? Please be aware that you can protect your Veeam B&R server via Veeam Configuration Backup Utility.
roksis
Novice

Post by roksis »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Out of curiosity, why do you want to backup your Veeam backup server? Please be aware that you can protect your Veeam B&R server via Veeam Configuration Backup Utility.
Because this backup server also performs functions of file server, print server etc.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

All-in-one :) thanks for clarifications, the restore process will be the same as for any other VM.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

i have Veeam on my Hyper-V host works fine,
i've installed on the host to take care of the whole VM pruction however it didn't works fine,
so i've created a vM and installed the Veeams on it, and all works prefectly quick on the virtual lan !