Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Cortado
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Cortado

Deleted VBRCatalog folder

Post by Cortado »

Hello,

By mistake, I've removed the disk with the VBRCatalog folder and was wondering if there is any way of recreating it? If I reinstall Veeam Backup & Replication, what will happen with my existing backups?

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Deleted VBRCatalog folder

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering whether EM and backup server are installed on one machine or on separate ones. In case of separate installations, from what exact server did you deleted corresponding folder?

Thanks.
Cortado
Novice

Post by Cortado »

It's on the same machine. I have another Veeam server on the different network, and I've copied the folder structure over (mostly empty). There is however one file that includes Instance name and UID, but I cannot located Instalce UID on the affected server. I've checked logs and application, but no luck.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If you had separate installations, you would be able to recreate the index folders either manually, directly copying files from one folder to the other, or automatically, by re-adding backup server to EM and re-syncing catalogs.

Unfortunately, in your case, I don't think it would be possible to recreate the index folder.

Thanks.
Cortado
Novice

Post by Cortado »

This morning there was a warning that path to VBRCatalog is not correct. Now that I've copied the folder structure from another server, I hope that this will be enough. Looking forward to tomorrow to see the backup results...

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Ok. Keep us updated about the results you get.
Cortado
Novice

Post by Cortado »

In case this does not work, can I recreate the VBRCatalog by reinstalling Veeam software? In that case, what happens with existing backups? Another thing I've noticed is that VBRCatalog is not shared, and your manual instructs that in case folder needs to be moved, one should share the folder and reset NTFS permissions.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I believe this folder will be recreated next time you execute job that has Indexing option enabled. However, the previously stored indexes won't be recreated, making restoration of previous file versions via EM impossible.

Reinstalling VB&R server also will not populate deleted indexes.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Cortado wrote:In case this does not work, can I recreate the VBRCatalog by reinstalling Veeam software? In that case, what happens with existing backups?
Existing backup files are not touched during product re-installation. You may want to backup Veeam B&R configuration though, prior re-installing it. However you could try to restart Veeam Backup Catalog Service first, the folder should be re-created.
Cortado
Novice

Post by Cortado »

I've just checked and I can confirm that solution with copying folder from another Veeam backup server worked just fine. I can see that Instance.UID in InstanceRef file was populated automatically, and indexes are created for the respective backup jobs. It looks like everything is just fine. Though, when I try to restore files (Restore guest files Windows) this is what I get...

EDIT: Quick server restart according to this article http://www.veeam.com/kb1003 solves the problem. Restore works like a charm.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Glad to hear that you're up and running now. Feel free to ask, if any additional help is needed.

Thanks.