Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
rereduck
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Backup to tape all Veeam once a month

Post by rereduck »

Hello,

I want to backup to tape once a month all my Veeam repositories for archiving. I have to keep 3 years of backup and I want incremental too on tape.

My job's backup is configured to do incremental backup everyday. I have enable Synthetic Fulls and rollsbacks on saturday and I perform a active full backups monthly on last saturday. I keep 30 restore points.

How can I do that ?

If I create a new backup-to-tape job it works but next month it says "nothing to backup" and I have to recreate my backup-to-tape job for working.

Thanks for your advices.

ps : sorry for my poor english.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup to tape all Veeam once a month

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

How did you configure your backup to tape job? What is the schedule?

Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering what is chosen as a source for backup to tape job. Repository or backup job? Also, do you experience similar issues with file to tape job?

Thanks.
rereduck
Enthusiast

Post by rereduck »

Hello,
How did you configure your backup to tape job? What is the schedule?
Run the job automatically Monthly at 22:00 first tuesday.

Export current media set once the job finishes (all day).

Source : backup repository
I'm wondering what is chosen as a source for backup to tape job. Repository or backup job? Also, do you experience similar issues with file to tape job?
I haven't try to backup file to tape what is the difference ? There is a difference for restore if I use file-to-tape ?

Thank you both
rereduck
Enthusiast

Post by rereduck »

And why I can't backup vrp to tape ? Only vib and vbk are backuped. Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The said message indicates that there aren't valid restore points that should be copied by backup to tape job. Sometimes you might get this message when incremental processing option is enabled. As far as I remember, some of these issues have been fixed in the recent patch, so, if you haven't it done already, it might be worth upgrading now.

Also, you can open a ticket with our support team and let them confirm your environment.
I haven't try to backup file to tape what is the difference ? There is a difference for restore if I use file-to-tape ?
The difference is what is playing the role of job "source". Backup to tape job operates with backup restore points, meanwhile, file to tape job with files.

Another difference between the job types is availability of tracking mechanism of backups and restore points. With "backup to tape" jobs you will know on which tape medias particular VMs reside on, what medias are required in order to restore certain VM, etc. In case of file to tape job, you should go to the "Files" tab, find required file or directory and restore it.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

rereduck wrote:And why I can't backup vrp to tape ? Only vib and vbk are backuped. Thanks
With reversed incremental mode only full backup files are copied to tape during backup-to-tape job runs. Reversed increments (.vrb files) are skipped form processing.