Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RL Jones
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: RL Jones

VMware tools quiescence error????

Post by RL Jones »

I am getting error on several of my backup jobs dealing with the VMware tools quiescence. This is the error I am getting:

Creating snapshot CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-2685", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "True" Cannot create a quiesced snapshot because the create snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine.

I read on a Spanish blog that I would have go and edit the backup job. I would proceed to the to the backup destination section in the wizard where I click on the advance button. This will take me to the advanced settings. I will deselect "Enable VMware tools quiescence". This solved the issue. However, I would still want to use this option because to my understanding it will ensure the backup is performed correctly. This really does not tell me why I would have to deselect this option for just several Windows backup jobs to work and the more than 80 windows backup jobs works with no issue with this option enable. Please help me understand.

Thank you,
RL Jones
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: VMware tools quiescence error????

Post by Gostev »

Hello, basically this known VMware quiescence issue. Search for the "Cannot create a quiesced snapshot" error above on the VMware KB, there are a number of articles describing this issues and how to fix it. There are a number of potential causes for this.

Generally we recommend to use Veeam VSS integration for VM quiescence, it does not have these issues. This is enabled on the Consistency step of the job's wizard. If you have any issues with Veeam VSS failing, we will be able to troubleshoot and provide support for those, because this is our own code.
kbrent
Lurker
Full Name: Kieron Brent

Post by kbrent »

I had the same issue - I managed to fix it by doing the following steps:-

Make sure you have the latest version of "tools" installed - this can be an issue if you have versions that don't match

Following http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1007306

I fixed most snapshot issues doing this..

Kieron
RL Jones
Influencer
Full Name: RL Jones

Post by RL Jones »

Thank you guys for the reply. I will try these solutions and post my results.