Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Replicated Domain Controller not booting

Post by tom11011 »

Hi Group,

My support case number is 00514458

Yesterday we attempted to complete our semi-annual failover test to site B. The domain controller failed to boot. This hasn't happened before, 6 months ago it booted ok. Here is the details.

We have 2 Windows 2008R2 domain controllers. I have only been replicating one of them to save bandwidth and space for DR purposes, but after last night I am replicating both of them now. Although having 2 online is not helping the situation at site B.

So, here is what is happening.

Upon bootup of domain controller 1, we are getting a quick windows blue screen message that reads "Stop: C00002e2 Directory Services could not start because of the followign error: A device attached to the system in not functioning. Error Status: 0xc00000001. Please shutdown this system and reboot into Directory Services Restore Mode, check the event log for more detailed information."

This screen only flashes for a second, I needed to screen capture it. It immediately reboots into "Recovery System Options".

At this point, I am rebooting, hitting it with an F8, and getting to "Directory Services Restore Mode". This gets me to a login screen. However, when I try to login, after about 30 seconds of spinning, I get "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request".

On domain controller 2, some of this is skipped, it wants to boot right into "Directory Services Restore Mode". However, upon trying to logon, I am getting the same message that there isn't any logon servers available to service the logon request.

EDIT: I let them sit for about 30 minutes. I was able to logon to server 2. Then after a while, server1.

Here is the thing, is there something special where if I have 2 domain controllers I have to have them both replicated? I'm not sure what the issue here is but these 2 domain controllers do not have issues booting up in production.
tom11011
Expert

Re: Replicated Domain Controller not booting

Post by tom11011 »

Edit, I was only able to login to dc2. dc1 after logging into the restore mode and rebooting brought me right back to recovery system options.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Tom,

Seeing this kind of error is not expected:
tom11011 wrote:"Stop: C00002e2 Directory Services could not start because of the followign error: A device attached to the system in not functioning. Error Status: 0xc00000001. Please shutdown this system and reboot into Directory Services Restore Mode, check the event log for more detailed information."
I wonder what kind of device it is referring to... Anyway, I have googled your error message, and it seems like you're not the only one who observes it during DC boot operation> http://distefano.biz/blog/index.php/201 ... -to-start/
tom11011 wrote:Here is the thing, is there something special where if I have 2 domain controllers I have to have them both replicated? I'm not sure what the issue here is but these 2 domain controllers do not have issues booting up in production.
Please take a look at the last page of this thread for the answer > Veeam B&R v5 recovery of a domain controller

Thanks!
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

Could this have anything to do with different generation Dell servers between site1 and 2? We are not running EVC in vmware.

However, last time we ran the failover test, the DC booted at the DR site.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, I'm wondering whether Application Aware Image Processing is enabled in the settings of replication job. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

tom11011 wrote:Could this have anything to do with different generation Dell servers between site1 and 2? We are not running EVC in vmware.
I doubt that since your second DC replicates just fine and it sits on the same hardware, right?
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

True. I'm still standing by for a ticket response from Veeam.
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

v.Eremin wrote:Also, I'm wondering whether Application Aware Image Processing is enabled in the settings of replication job. Thanks.
It is.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Tom, have you tried failing over to any other restore point of the first DC? It seems like everything you do is correct, and the only blocker is that error message, that can occur due to disk partition change, disk replacement etc.