Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
rcookdps
Novice
Liked: never

VMs with SAN connection / direct SAN Access

Post by rcookdps »

Can you please clarify a couple of questions regarding what your sever is capable off:

All our host servers are running hyper-v (2008 R2, 2012 & 2012 R2) either as a standalone servers or as part of a CSV.

-Our VMs connect directly to (NTFS) Luns on the SAN using the iSCSI initiator for data like SQL DBs/logs, Exchange DBs/logs, file storage etc. I believe Veeam will backup the VM but cannot backup this data?

Therefore If I use direct SAN access from a proxy to backup the SAN, could I then for example, restore an individual email for a particular user?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VMs with SAN connection / direct SAN Access

Post by Vitaliy S. »

rcookdps wrote:-Our VMs connect directly to (NTFS) Luns on the SAN using the iSCSI initiator for data like SQL DBs/logs, Exchange DBs/logs, file storage etc. I believe Veeam will backup the VM but cannot backup this data?
Correct.
rcookdps wrote:Therefore If I use direct SAN access from a proxy to backup the SAN, could I then for example, restore an individual email for a particular user?
Not sure I understand the question...you can restore any item that is located on the VM virtual disk.
rcookdps
Novice
Liked: never

Post by rcookdps »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I mean that as I cant backup the data through the VM (my first point), can I back up the data directly on the SAN using your software? So the proxy server connects directly to the exchange Lun for example, can it backup the edb file and then can I restore an individual email or does everything revolve around the data residing on a virtual disk?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, backup jobs can only backup VMs residing on the Hyper-V hosts, however you can potentially use file copy jobs to copy the required files to the destination storage.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As to restoration of individual Exchange item via Veeam Exchange Explorer, then, the only thing you need to have is edb file. Thanks.