Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
nineoff
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: DD

Veeam v7 & Dynamic disks in Hyper-V

Post by nineoff »

I have one concern about the Dynamic disks in Hyper-V. First question I see elsewhere whether disks are dynamic, if yes than they need to be basic if you want to sort the backup and let it work with app-aware feature.
The question is if you can let it work with dynamic disks in Hyper-V and you still want to have app-aware.
Is this a Microsoft limitation that Hyper-V can't be backed up with dynamic disks are there possibly any news or hopefully any updates on this issue ?
Any info or update is appreciated.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam v7 & Dynamic disks in Hyper-V

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is a Microsoft limitation, if the VM guest OS has dynamic disks, it can be backed up using saved state only (crash-consistent mode). In v7, the job will fail unless 'Ignore application processing failures' option is selected in Advanced options for Guest processing settings.
matt306
Influencer
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Matthew Brown

Post by matt306 »

In a VM there's little benefit to having a dynamic disk. Officially you can't convert Dynamic to Basic without wiping the disk, however using a hex editor you can change it back, keeping the file structure in place.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=191006 details how you can do this. I used this successfully on 3 VM's that were file servers.

I would strongly recommend making a full copy of the VHD first or verify your backup.
nineoff
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: DD

Post by nineoff »

Thank you matt306, I have already one solution that changes disk from dynamic to basic on the fly, so that is no longer an issue. Thank you anyway. I am already backing up basic disks (in progress for a moment ) on one VM, there are 2 more to go.