Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mgratla
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark

Technical question on replication

Post by mgratla »

I'm trying to find out exactly what happens if I initialize a failover to a replica. Does veeam reach out to the proxy and the proxy then initiates the failover job and sends to information to re-ip? Or is the re-ip aspect sent with every replica and the failover process just involves veeam talking to the ESX host and telling it to start the machine?

The reason I'm asking is we're setting up our DR site. Both our primary site and disaster recovery site will have storage, and each will have a full installation of Veeam. But, we want the DR veeam server to talk to the primary sites proxy and manage all of the backup jobs as well as the replication from primary to secondary.

The Primary sites veeam server will do the same. It will talk to the DR site proxy which will backup the servers in the DR site and back them up to local storage.

But, lets say our primary site disappears off the face of the earth without warning be it bomb, nuclear explosion or whatever. We obviously wont be able to initialize the veeam failover process from the DR site, because the DR site wont be able to talk to the primary. So I would have to start my machines from within ESX. Are they already re-IPd? or can we just point the DR site at the local proxy server and initialize the failover that way?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Technical question on replication

Post by foggy »

Mark, replica VM configuration is updated during every job run to make its network settings always meet the ones specified in re-IP rules. Since the proxy server is not involved in failover process, you will be able to initiate failover on a remote Veeam B&R and start re-IP'ed VMs there.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Technical question on replication

Post by veremin »

Also, be aware that if you start replica VMs manually, the RE-IP functionality won't work. Thanks.