Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mwiseley
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Wiseley

Pro's and con's for multiple Veeam servers across multiple

Post by mwiseley »

So... we have our HQ in location A, which replicates using Veeam to our DR in Location B. We now have a Location C which currently uses Veeam locally, and is now connected to our DR Location B. So Both location A and C connect to B. My question is would it be better to use One Veeam server to manage the jobs from both locations, or would it be better to have separate Veeam servers for the 2 locations? I see some good and bad both ways and wondered what others were doing and what might be working best out there?

THANKS in advance for the insight.

Mark
edfops
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Re: Pro's and con's for multiple Veeam servers across multip

Post by edfops »

I think it makes sense to use one server depending geographically where it might be. What I mean is, if you need to maintain or work on that server you will want a window with which you know no backups will need to be running, so if that requires more than one backup server so be it. They will all sync up to enterprise manager anyways.

In terms of an "all eggs in one basket" approach if you go with one server, copy the config backup offsite.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I would go with two Veeam B&R servers configuration and central Enterprise Manager that would control both installations and would be a single pane of glass for your backup admins. With this config you can "afford" losing location A, but still backup Location C. In addition to this, depending on the connection links between the sites Windows FLR might be quicker when using local Veeam backup server.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

That said, if we are talking about replication, the generally recommended approach is to have a separate Veeam B&R responsible exclusively for replication jobs located in the target (DR) location. It will allow for automatic failover/failback procedures via Veeam B&R GUI in case of DR, while with local Veeam B&R instance you will be able to perform operational restores in the production site, as it is stated above.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

As mentioned, if you stick to one server deployment, be aware to, at least, save the configuration data from the Veeam Backup SQL database, using Configuration Backup functionality.

Thanks.