Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
bcscholl
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Brian Scholl

Off-Site Replica of On-Site Replica

Post by bcscholl »

What would be the recommended setup to Replicate a Replica?

Currently have 20 Replicas from Hyper-V cluster to On-Site Standalone Hyper-V Server. I'd like to then Replicate those 20 Replicas to an Off-Site Standalone Hyper-V Server.
Thoughts?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Off-Site Replica of On-Site Replica

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Brian,

Do you use off-host proxy servers to replicate these VMs right now? As to replicating VM replicas, then creating replication jobs that would not overlap with main replication jobs should do the trick.

Thank you!
bcscholl
Enthusiast

Post by bcscholl »

Yes, The backup proxy is directly connected to the SAN using Off-Host backups to it's own local disks. We didn't purchase a license for the DR(off-site) Replica server, not sure if we need to or get benefits with that?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you're going to replicate replicas, then you need to have license keys for that. The configuration is straightforward in this case - two on-host proxy servers should be deployed to both sites. This happens automatically once you add any Hyper-V host to the backup console.

The benefit of this approach is that replicating replicas allows you not to stress your production storage with two snapshots. Thanks!
bcscholl
Enthusiast

Post by bcscholl »

Oh that's right, I'll need license to replicate. Does this sound right:

Cluster >> Off- host backup >> Standalone machine (Veeam Backup / Proxy and Hyper-V Replica Server)

I would like to then Replicate the Replicas to another Standalone machine. I need 2 more CPU licenses for that machine, but should that machine also be a Veeam Backup Proxy server?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

bcscholl wrote:I need 2 more CPU licenses for that machine, but should that machine also be a Veeam Backup Proxy server?
Since most likely you're using local storage there, then yes, this Hyper-V server will also be your source proxy server.