Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
EddyChong
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eddy Chong

Hyper-V Backup Repository Provisioning Type

Post by EddyChong »

Hi,

I'm planning for a deployment in a 12 node hyper-v 2012 cluster. The backup proxy will be using on-host method and therefore my Veeam server does not has a FC HBA. All Hyper-V hosts are connecting to SAN via FC.

My concern is which backup repository provisioning method i should use in this case for best performance? I've figured out few options on my own after some reading of the Veeam guide. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Option 1:
Provision another LUN from SAN to cluster and create another csv. Then assign the CSV as backup repository.
(Question: We add the cluster to Veeam using wizard. Can we then add the CSV provisioned to the cluster as backup repository? I'm not familiar with Hyper-V, all the while was deploying Veeam in VMware environment)

Option 2:
Get a FC HBA for Veeam server. Then provision a LUN to Veeam server directly and assign it as backup repository. Then allow all hyper-v nodes in the cluster to access to the same LUN to store backup files.

Option 3:
Via shared folder as documented in Veeam guide.

Will Option 1 and 2 lead to corrupted partition? Or there is any better option which i do not know? Would like to get a best performance provisioning type.

Thank you in advance.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Hyper-V Backup Repository Provisioning Type

Post by veremin »

Hi, Eddy,

Am I wrong in assuming that whatever implementation you finally choose, the said SAN device will be the single point of failure? In other words, if something goes wrong with the SAN itself, you will lose both production VMs and backup data.

Thanks.
EddyChong
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eddy Chong

Post by EddyChong »

Hi v.Eremin,

Thanks for replying. I was confused because i don't really understand how Hyper-V works. Yes you are right, single point of failure.

I had a discussion with a friend now I will share the information.

Important point, Hyper-V host will send backup files to Veeam Backup Repository via "Network". (Apply to on-host proxy method only)
Therefore using fc lun or das as backup repository does not make any difference. (VMware method has a lot of difference, this is the part i get confused. :oops: )

Adding backup repository is just the same as what we have in VMware method.

Option 1 using csv is just overkill for a repository. And we don't need to go option 1, just leave hyper-v host with proxy role.
Option 2/3 is just like vmware method, can be a network share, das, iscsi, or fc (different box to avoid single point of failure)

Thank you
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

different box to avoid single point of failure
The best approach, from my perspective.