Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
matt_t
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Turnbull

Backup Selections and Exclusions

Post by matt_t »

Hi,

I would like to have a "Backup by default" approach using Veeam, so I have created a backup policy that targets my production cluster. This way whenever someone creates a new production VM it is automatically backed up.

However there are some VMs that I would like to exclude from the backups. I know I can do this by picking them in the exclusions list, but I'd like to know if there is a more general way to do it - can I specify an entire folder to exclude, or a naming pattern (e.g. any VM where the name begins with "NoBackup"), or maybe where a specific custom attribute is set?

The problem I have with excluding machines in the list at the moment is that some of them are Linked Clone workstations - and when they are deleted and re-created as part of our clone refresh process, they are no longer excluded. I think that Veeam's exclude list looks up the VMID of the machine at the time it is added to the list, rather than working on the VM name at the time of backup.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do this kind of thing, or am I going to have to adopt a different strategy?

Thanks,

Matt.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Backup Selections and Exclusions

Post by Gostev »

Hi Matt, yes you can exclude the whole folders, not just specific VMs. Thank you.
matt_t
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Turnbull

Post by matt_t »

Thanks - I've found the folder exclusions and that's going to work OK for a while.

However I'm still interested in whether naming patterns or custom attributes could be used, and also whether my assumption about how the exclusions work (based on VMID at the time they are set) are correct?

Matt
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Matt, you assumptions on how it works are correct. Custom attributes/naming pattern exclusions will be supported via integration with Veeam Business View that we are planning to add to Veeam Backup down the road.