Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Backup_user
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Manfred Weber

Backup of independent disks from a windows server cluster

Post by Backup_user »

I have 2 ESX Server 5.5 with many windows 2008 Server clients, which are running in clusters (mostly SQL clusters). All the cluster disks from always 2 windows server are setup in Vmware as independent disks and this disk are saved in an extra folder on the SAN, they are not in the folder of the VMware. I need to backup these disks every week and do a verfication to mack sure that the backup is correct. Is this working with veeam 7.0? Has anyone experience in this form of backup. Please give me a feed back ho you wuold do this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup of independent disks from a windows server cluste

Post by Gostev »

Independent disks are specifically designed to be excluded from VM snapshots, so you cannot back those up with any vStorage API based backup solution.
Backup_user
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Manfred Weber

Post by Backup_user »

How is ist possible to backup the cluster disks from a windows cluster from 2 virtual machines. The cluster disks are in an extra folder of the san? I must setup the ISCSi controller to bus sharing the the cluser is working correct.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Disks involved in bus-sharing as well as iSCSI initiated disks cannot be backed up with VM-image based backup solutions. You should have a supported disk type in order to back it up.

Please see our system requirements via this link > http://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_7_0_r ... tes_rn.pdf
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In addition, this script might be useful for you. It allows you to check whether the objects added to the job have independent disks. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Also you can run Veeam ONE report that is called "VM Configuration Assessment" to get the list of all VMs that cannot be backed up due to their configuration. This report is available in free version of the product.