Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jayinjersey
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Rovner

Site-to-Site Veeaming

Post by jayinjersey »

Goal: To set one Veeam server to be “The One” server, but still backup “locally” on the remote site

Current setup:
Network A
o Veeam Server A
o vCenter Server
o vSphere Cluster A
o Backup Repository A
o Veeam Backup Proxy A connected to B/U Repo A
Network B
o Veeam Server B
o vSphere Cluster B
o Backup Repository B
o Veeam Backup Proxy B connected to B/U Repo B

Sites are connected by WAN….decent speed, but still a WAN.
Veeam A shows all the backup repositories of Proxy B and has Proxy B setup.

What I want is for the Veeam Server in A to backup a VM in Network B’s cluster and store it in B but at the same speed as Veeam Server B’s backups.
I was under the impression that’s the function of the backup proxies however a Backup Job created on Veeam A is taking “WAN Time” as opposed to “local time”…and Veeam A is showing high net traffic that whole time, making me believe it is WAN’ing that date from B to A to B, which is dumb.
Example a new job on Veeam B to backup VM takes 1 hour for full backup, same job on Veeam A I canceled at 10 hours at 6%.

So either what is the procedure for setting this up or how do you tell a job to run locally via a specific proxy?

Thanks
-Jay
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Site-to-Site Veeaming

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jason,

In order to keep VM backup traffic locally you should be using proxy server in site B and the job should be pointed to repository in the same very site. Can you please confirm that proxy in site B is used via backup job session details?

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Site-to-Site Veeaming

Post by foggy »

jayinjersey wrote:So either what is the procedure for setting this up or how do you tell a job to run locally via a specific proxy?
Jason, to set the job use the particular proxy in site B, you should explicitly select it from the list instead of 'Automatic selection' at the Storage step of the job wizard.