Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JorisK
Expert
Liked: never

Object has been deleted message

Post by JorisK »

Hi,

I've added 4 ESX servers to our cluster last week and migrated some VM's to them. Now some of our backup queue's fail because of the following message:

Checking the license for the source host "esx17.xxxx.xxxx"
The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created

Strange thing is that this message occurs only on the VM's that run on the newly added host. We do have enough licenses.

Anyone?

Regards,
Joris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Object has been deleted message

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Joris,

Can you tell us please how are your jobs configured, have added all the object using the VC node or using standalone hosts? You can try to re-add failed VMs to the job or create the new one, you can also try to revoke all the licenses like it is described in this thread: Problems licensing hosts

Thank you
JorisK
Expert

Post by JorisK »

Hi,

I see your resolution but it isn't clear for me at all:

----------------
We have confirmed that this problem can be caused by the following sequence of actions:
1. Add new ESX host into environment.
2. Add this ESX host to Veeam Backup "Servers" tree as stanadalone ESX, create backup job - it will run successfully.
3. Add this ESX to Virtual Center server that is also added to Veeam Backup "Servers" tree.
4. Reconnect to Virtual Center server in Veeam Backup.
5. The backup job will start failing with the above-mentioned error.

Resolution is to not add ESX hosts which belong to Virtual Center, as standalone hosts to Veeam Backup tree.
--------------
Correct me if i'm wrong but the last line states i need to connect all my hosts via VirtualCenter is that right? In my case i currently have no standalone hosts configured, i only have one connection to VC and from there i can connect to all my ESX servers.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct. vCenter server gives VMs global unique IDs which remain the same if you move VMs from one ESX server to another ESX server. If you configure the job through ESX server added as standalone , VMs will be memorized using local unique ID of original standalone hosts. This ID will not be recognizeable if VM moves to another standalone ESX, or to ESX which is a part of vCenter, or when the actual ESX is added to vCenter. So the issue above is totally expected. This is exactly why in the Add Server wizard we recommend adding vCenter server vs. standalone ESX servers.

There is existing topic describing why jobs brake if you re-add ESX to vCenter:
Backups break after host remove/add
JorisK
Expert

Post by JorisK »

Yes okay but all my VM's are added using VirtualCenter.

All i did was moving some VM's to a newly created cluster which contains 4 new ESX hosts. I didn't changed the backup queue at all...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

OK, I got confused by you post #3. Looks like you quoted someone else's post there, but to me it looked like you are describing what you did. You can use "quote" forum's functionality to avoid confusion next time.

Try revoking all licenses from the License information dialog, and running all jobs again. This should help. If you still have issues, please contact our support for assistance.
Koppihle
Lurker
Full Name: Kevin Oppihle

Post by Koppihle »

I had a similar issue when Vcenter was recovered/rebuilt with the same name as the old. VM's were on the server and running, but backup jobs could not see VM's. I could browse the host with Veeam and view the VM's. I created new jobs and recieved the "object has been deleted message" I resolved the issue by going into the Veeam Infrastructure and re-entering the credentials. I could then create new jobs without error. Old jobs still would not see the VM's for backup so I will recreate the rest.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

When you rebuild vCenter Server (re-create the database), VMs receive new IDs, so you have to re-add backed up VMs to the backup/replication jobs in order to re-identify these VMs.