Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
toa1970
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Torben Andersen

Virtual Machine Snapshot Usage Analysis

Post by toa1970 »

Hi,

For test purpose I have changed ShapshotAgeThreshold and SnapshotSizeThreshold value to 10 and 1048 – after I got an warning alert :D What if find strange is that the Health State of server with the Snapshot is still green ! Shouldn’t the Health State change color to Yellow?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Virtual Machine Snapshot Usage Analysis

Post by Mike Resseler »

For the Health state change... This can be due to the fact that the mechanism hasn't calculated it's new state. I'm also not sure if this specific monitor will rollup the health in Warning. I believe it does but... Again, I'm not sure.

The quickest way for checking this is to recalculate the health. This is not specific a Veeam issue but more a general SCOM issue :-)

Let me know if that works

Cheers

Mike
toa1970
Influencer

Post by toa1970 »

Hi Mike,

Recalculate didn't help. I believe you're right, the monitor doesn't rollup the health in Warning. Strange !
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Actually, I looked at my environment (MP 6.5) to be sure and the Virtual Machine that has the problem should go into warning, not the server. I missed that from your first message (mea culpa)

Could you verify that?

Thanks

Mike
toa1970
Influencer

Post by toa1970 »

Hi,

It's the virtual machine (a Windows server), in OpsMgr "Monitoring, WIndows Computers" Today the virtual server is still Healthy (Green)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

That's not ok. That should have gone in warning.
can you log a support call so that they have a look at it?

Thanks
Mike
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Torben,

I just wanted to clarify again what Mike already explained - Windows Computer object (under Monitoring > Windows Computers) will not change the state if certain VMware monitors change their state, because we do not have any rollups and because it doesn't work as expected in SCOM. Operations Manager cannot properly rollup state from object monitored on one agent (VM is being monitored on your VMware Collector server) to object monitored on another object (agent in windows computer OS).

You can check that there is no rollups by opening the Health Monitor for the Windows Computer object - uncheck to show only unhealthy monitors and you will see all tree of monitors running for the windows computer object along with rollups from other objects - and you should not see any rollup from VMware monitors there.

Thanks.
toa1970
Influencer

Post by toa1970 »

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for information. I found that the virtual server is yellow in Monitoring, Veeam for VMware, All VMs - saying that the virtual server is running on Snapshot :)