Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Matthew Vaughan

Large backup copy job expiring

Post by mcvosi »

I have a rather large backup copy job running (the initial one). Is it an issue that the interval expires? It says in the log that it will resume on the next attempt, but will this make my backups inconsistent?

Thx
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Large backup copy job expiring

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Matthew,
mcvosi wrote:Is it an issue that the interval expires?
No, it's not an issue, the backup copy job will indeed resume on the next run (assuming you're using WAN accelerators) and will continue transferring VM backup data.
mcvosi wrote:It says in the log that it will resume on the next attempt, but will this make my backups inconsistent?
Do you mean the target backup files? You will be able to use backup files stored in the offsite location once initial sync operation is complete.

If you have issues with doing first run, you may want to consider pre-seeding the backup copy job. Please search these forums for the detailed instructions.

Thanks!
mcvosi
Enthusiast

Post by mcvosi »

OK, reason I ask is sometimes I see another job log that says something like "user cancelled" or something like that. I know I didn't cancel the job so I wasn't sure what that was all about. I am using WAN Acceleration at each endpoint.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

mcvosi wrote:OK, reason I ask is sometimes I see another job log that says something like "user cancelled" or something like that.
Do you have this message for the backup copy job? I've seen the same message for regular jobs when it was cancelled by the configured backup window...
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Post by wa15 »

Also, on the initial backup copy job screen, where it says copy every X amount of days, you may want to change it to something like 15 days for first initial copy.
mcvosi
Enthusiast

Post by mcvosi »

OK, so far so good setting the longer interval for the initial backup copy job. My only concern is when another full backup is run.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

My only concern is when another full backup is run.
You mean that another full backup will cause longer backup copy job duration, right? If so, it shouldn't be the case, as the backup copy job (being forever incremental) won't transfer the backup file as a whole, but rather only new/changed blocks. Thanks.
mcvosi
Enthusiast

Post by mcvosi »

v.Eremin wrote: You mean that another full backup will cause longer backup copy job duration, right? If so, it shouldn't be the case, as the backup copy job (being forever incremental) won't transfer the backup file as a whole, but rather only new/changed blocks. Thanks.
Ahhh, OK. I didn't realize that it's a forever incremental. I guess it helps to read the docs. ;-)

Thx
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, it utilizes backup job as a "source" and, using its special synthetic logic, creates corresponding restore points in the "target" location. More information regarding it can be found here. Thanks.