Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cparker4486
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris

Time limit on Post Job Activity script?

Post by cparker4486 »

Hello,

I have a PS script that runs after a job. It copies the VBM and VBK to a 2nd location. The VBM file copies without a problem so I know the script is running and I know the permissions are correct. The problem is that the VBK file does not make it to the new location and it appears that the running PS script is being cancelled during the file copy. It would take about an hour and a half for the copy to complete under normal circumstances.

Any thoughts on this?
-- Chris
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Time limit on Post Job Activity script?

Post by Gostev »

Hi Chris, cancelling long running script is news to me, however if this is really the case, why not start your copy script in the separate process (using start command in the "primary" batch file that the job launches). Thanks!
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

I created a small job and used the same script (modified to copy the test job's files) and it worked fine.
-- Chris
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

Gostev wrote:why not start your copy script in the separate process (using start command in the "primary" batch file that the job launches)
Because of ignorance. My script currently runs with the following command:

Code: Select all

c:\windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -noninteractive -file "c:\psscripts\Copy_Tier1_Files_For_BackupExec.ps1"
I'll try your suggestion though.
-- Chris
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Chris, I'm wondering what type of commands used in order to copy the files. The assumption is that may be the commands itself have predefined timeout or something similar. Also, why not to use backup copy job, instead of custom scripts? Thanks.
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

v.Eremin wrote:I'm wondering what type of commands used in order to copy the files. The assumption is that may be the commands itself have predefined timeout or something similar.
Just your basic Windows copy.
Also, why not to use backup copy job, instead of custom scripts? Thanks.
Great question and it's caused me to rethink what I'm doing. It's a bit of a long story but originally it was because the two VBKs I am copying were going to different places because of available storage at the target(s).

Now that I'm rethinking what I'm doing I think I'll be able to get away with combining both jobs into a single copy job even while having 2 restore points and still be able to fit them both on a single target.
-- Chris
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The backup copy option seems to be preferred here. This way, you will be able to get rid of custom scripts. Also, you will have convenient restore point tracking system, as restore points created by backup copy jobs will be reflected under corresponding node.

Thanks.