Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Stabz06
Influencer
Liked: never

Question Restore Backup to Tape

Post by Stabz06 »

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification about the restoration from a tape.

Veeam 7 patch 2
Currently I have a backup job(Job1) with 7 restore points,reversed incremental on and scheduled everydays
After this job, an backup to tape job start automatically.The selection is my previous job(Job1).

Both backup work properly.
So now I m testing to restore a vm from my backup to tape.
And my questions start here.

I have to restore the globality of the tape for restoring only one Vm.
I would to know if this process is normal or not?

And after this I obtain only one restore point for each vm's.
I thought like I backup my Job1, I ll have all restore point, 7 in this case.

If I want to restore the vm to another point, I have to select the day in the user interface and put the corresponding tape day, same question here, on a tape have we only the backuped day ?

I hope I m clear,and sorry if my english is bad I m french :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question Restore Backup to Tape

Post by foggy »

Stabz06 wrote:I have to restore the globality of the tape for restoring only one Vm.
I would to know if this process is normal or not?
Yes, in order to restore a singe VM or file from backup you need to restore the entire backup file from tape to disk and then use regular Veeam B&R file level restore.
Stabz06 wrote:And after this I obtain only one restore point for each vm's.
I thought like I backup my Job1, I ll have all restore point, 7 in this case.
Please note that with reversed incremental mode only full backup files are copied to tape during backup-to-tape job runs. Reversed increments (.vrb files) are skipped form processing. If you’re willing to copy .vrb files to tape, then you can use file to tape job.
Stabz06
Influencer

Post by Stabz06 »

Yes, in order to restore a singe VM or file from backup you need to restore the entire backup file from tape to disk and then use regular Veeam B&R file level restore.
Hum ok, good to know ! It's pity that we can't just restore a selection from a tape. This implies that we must have enough free space for this task.
Please note that with reversed incremental mode only full backup files are copied to tape during backup-to-tape job runs. Reversed increments (.vrb files) are skipped form processing. If you’re willing to copy .vrb files to tape, then you can use file to tape job.
Ok! I understand better now!

Thanks for your help Foggy.

Before to close this topic another question:

In my Backup to tape job I ticked the option "Process incremental backup files" but i did'nt see really a difference. If you could clarify to me this option.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In my Backup to tape job I ticked the option "Process incremental backup files" but i did'nt see really a difference. If you could clarify to me this option.
You're talking here about backup to tape job, right? If so, this option is related solely to forward incremental job, not reversed incremental one. With this option, the backup to tape job will process both .vbk (full restore points) and .vib (incremental) files.

More information regarding it can be found in the corresponding section of our Help Center.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Stabz06 wrote:Hum ok, good to know ! It's pity that we can't just restore a selection from a tape. This implies that we must have enough free space for this task.
Correct. Though there is a probability that we'll add an ability to restore directly from tape in future versions.
Stabz06
Influencer

Post by Stabz06 »

You're talking here about backup to tape job, right? If so, this option is related solely to forward incremental job, not reversed incremental one. With this option, the backup to tape job will process both .vbk (full restore points) and .vib (incremental) files.
Yes, i do. So, to be sure, like I m using reversed incremental backup this option its useless? But if i configure a backup job with incremental mode, it should be appropriate to selection this option, to have the full backup and all increments right?
Correct. Though there is a probability that we'll add an ability to restore directly from tape in future versions.
Ok ! That could be a good feature, even if restoration from disk is more prioritized.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Stabz06 wrote:So, to be sure, like I m using reversed incremental backup this option its useless? But if i configure a backup job with incremental mode, it should be appropriate to selection this option, to have the full backup and all increments right?
Correct.
Stabz06
Influencer

Post by Stabz06 »

Thanks for your quick answers!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You're welcome. Feel free to ask for any additional clarification, if required.