Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
davidkillingsworth
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

How to restore to Linux server that requires Pubkey SSH auth

Post by davidkillingsworth »

Hello,

I support a mixture of Linux and Windows servers that are being backed up with Veeam on VMware. The split is about 50/50.

We recently had a case where I had to restore files to a public facing LAMP server. The developers accidentally deleted several files on their public facing webserver. Since this server is public facing, we use pubkey SSH authenitcation. Actually, we use it for all of our Linux servers.

They needed to restore those files urgently and when I went to restore the files, I could not restore them to the Linux server that was the original source of the backup because the server requires pubkey authentication.

I had to restore them to the local Windows Server where the Veeam backup job was and then from there FTP it to a 3rd destination, and then on my own local laptop I used FileZilla to FTP to my laptop, and then SFTP them to the public facing LAMP server.

Is there any chance that Veeam can support SSH pubkey authentication for Linux servers? This seems like something that has been overlooked.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How to restore to Linux server that requires Pubkey SSH

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello David,

Thank you for your feedback. We will keep this request in mind when planning feature set for the future product versions.

Thanks!