Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
withanh
Veteran
Liked: never
Full Name: Darhl

iSCSI issue IBM DS3300

Post by withanh »

I'm having a weird issue with my IBM DS3300 and am hoping someone here is familiar with that and has a suggestion or if they can verify the issue.

My Veeam server is on Win08R2 and normally runs perfectly.

We recently added additional disk space on our IBM DS3300 with an IBM EXP3000 expansion unit. When I created the LUNs they all presented to VMware (v4/Sphere) fine and they presented to my Veeam backup server fine.

The problem came up when I had the new LUNs switch over to the 2nd controller (for load balancing). When the LUNs are on the second controller, they still work just fine with VMware, but with Windows they now show as Unknown and Not Initialized. I switch them back to the first controller and they again still work fine with VMware, but now on Windows they show as Basic/Online/Unallocated where the working ones show as Basic/Online/Healthy.

My question is about where the problem lies, is it with the IBM DS3300 not using the second controller properly, or is there an issue with Windows 2008 R2 iSCSI service that is being weird because the LUNs changed controllers (and IP addresses when they moved to the other controller).

Thanks!
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law
withanh
Veteran
Liked: never
Full Name: Darhl

Re: iSCSI issue IBM DS3300

Post by withanh »

Oh, a couple of other notes I just thought of, I have rebooted the Win08R2/Veeam server to see if they show properly and they do not, I also checked the iSCSI setup on the Win08R2 to make sure all 4 IP address are showing for the iSCSI discovery service, and they are.

d
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law