Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KFM
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: KFM

In-place transforms

Post by KFM »

Hi all,

I've searched high and low for an answer to this question and I couldn't find one before posting. Happy to be proved wrong though of course! :)

My question is, how are transforms performed and subsequently, how much space is required during the transform? Are transforms performed "in-place" i.e. vbk merged with vib? Some of the documentation alludes to this. Or is a new file created and the vbk and vib merged into the new file?

Thus my second question - how much space is required for the transform if it's not done in-place? 100% of (vbk size + vib size)? And how much space is required if it is done in-place? Technically, none as the two files are merged?

Thanks in advance (and apologies if this has been answered before).

- KFM
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: In-place transforms

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering what type of transformation you're talking about. Backup Job (Synthetic full)? Backup Job (Reversed incremental)? Backup Copy Job (simple retention)? Backup Copy Job (GFS scheme)? Thanks.
KFM
Service Provider

Post by KFM »

Well I know that for backup copy GFS schemes the full is just pulled out of the simple retention and marked as weekly/monthly/quarterly/etc so that's self-explanatory. But for the other transform types, they all involve some level of merging so all of the above (except for GFS), please :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

During synthetic full, an entirely new VBK file is created from the previous VBK and corresponding VIB files, all of which then are transformed to VRB files, so you do need space for the new full (however most of the space is released after transformation).
During reversed incremental, as well as backup copy simple retention cycle, changes are “injected” directly into VBK file replacing the existing changed blocks, so the required space is not that essential.
KFM
Service Provider

Post by KFM »

Awesome - thanks for your quick reply Foggy!