Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
chadtandy
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chad

Backup Job and Tape Job conflict

Post by chadtandy »

Hi all,

We have a decent sized Veeam deployment backing up ~300 VMs daily and we maintain 50+TB of Veeam backup files. For the time being we are archiving to tape.

The problem we are running into is with the number of jobs and size of the files we have I have ~20 tape jobs, what happens often is the backup job kicks off and it terminates the tape job, which is frustrating especially when the tape job is 2TB into a 2.5TB copy. Is there a way to make the backup job wait for a period of time before terminating the tape job? It looks like this functionality exists the other way around, can put in a wait period on the tape job to wait for the backup job. I just have too many jobs to precisely micromanage when each runs so as not to interfere.

Thanks,
-Chad
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Job and Tape Job conflict

Post by veremin »

Hi, Chad,

I'm wondering what backup mode the source backup jobs are using. Forward or reversed incremental?

I'm asking since in case of forward incremental mode, the tape job should proceed without any issues. Meanwhile, in case of reversed incremental, it should be interrupted. May be switching mode would be an applicable option?

Otherwise, you can, probably, put into use custom PS script that will check the state of backup to tape job, and, start backup job only if the tape one isn't running at the moment.

Thanks.
chadtandy
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chad

Post by chadtandy »

We are using reverse incremental on the vast majority of our jobs. We had previously been using forward incrementals with transform jobs, but we'd have issues with the transforms failing that would require running fresh fulls, and we don't have the disk space to maintain two fulls on disk for alot of our bigger jobs.

-Chad
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, as a workaround, you can disable ordinary schedule and use, instead, combination of Windows Scheduler and custom PS scripts. Scheduled script will check the state of backup to tape job, and execute backup job, only if the state isn't equal to "Running". This way, you will be protected against accidental tape job interruption.

Thanks.