Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
willymaykett
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Black

Backup Targets - Confused

Post by willymaykett »

Hi,

I am looking at doing some evaluation of backup and replication, especially the backup side first.
I am a bit confused as to what the backup target can, must be.

I have a basic FC SAN, FC switches and a coupe eof ESX hosts.
I want to backup the whole VM's, mainly for quick recovery and off site storage.
I have a server with locally attached storage, about 4 TB, and my plan was to attach the backup server to the FC fabric, and then backup the vm's to the local disk. Is this possbile, or does the backup target have to be a VMFS datastore?
If they are "Windows" files I then intend to backup the vm files using a normal tape backup for offsite storage.

Is this poosible?
thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6704 times

Re: Backup Targets - Confused

Post by Gostev »

Hello - no, backup target does not have to be VMFS, it can be NTFS formatted LUN. Have you had a chance to review System Requirements for supported backup targets listed in the Release Notes document? This may answer all of your questions. Let us know if you still have some questions after reviewing the documentation.
willymaykett
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Black

Re: Backup Targets - Confused

Post by willymaykett »

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I did review the system requirements and found the reference to local disks, including USB drives, but in the example it showed a reference to only an ESX based file system.

Thank you for clarifying, I will now go ahead and begin planning the backup target as being local storage on my local Veeam backup server. :D

Thanks.