Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stevenrodenburg1
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

Lost primary backup-storage (completely)

Post by stevenrodenburg1 »

Hello,

Situation:
- The primary backup-storage, a very large Linux NAS box with tons of storage, had a catastrophic failure. It's gone forever. R.I.P.
- The secondary box, containing all the copy jobs (thank god we still have those), is fine. It's a Windows box with the repository and wan-accell. software on it.

I immediately stopped all the backup-jobs of course. We must now buy a new primary backup-storage system. We intend on installing it with the same hardware config, hostname and ip etc. etc. as it's deceased forerunner. In the end, it will be the same box with all the same versions and everything.

Question: in short: is there a way to populate/fill the new primary NAS with the contents of the secondary ?

As we are recreating the new primary with the same configs, volumes, paths etc. etc. etc. so Veeam should not be able to see that it's actually a whole new machine. I would be ideal if we can populate the new primary in such a way that Veeam never knew that something even happened to it. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Lost primary backup-storage (completely)

Post by Gostev »

Hi Steven, the bigger question is why do you want to do this in the first place. Creating new active full backup is never a bad idea when you get a chance. Other than that, you can potentially copy VBKs from backup copy jobs to your new primary storage, and map your primary backup jobs into those... however, I am not really sure I see any benefits of doing this, and I personally would not do that. Thanks!
stevenrodenburg1
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

Post by stevenrodenburg1 »

Hi Anton,

The main reason is workload reduction. It's a p.i.t.a to edit all those jobs to map them etc. so if we can somehow reduce the steps needed to recover, the sooner we are back on our feet again.

Question: after copying a VBK back to the new primary and map it in the Job's properties, does it require (re-)mapping the/it's copy-job too?

Having said that, if we just run fulls of everything, populating the new primary that way, does it require mapping on any level or does Veeam simply move on, not needing to (re-)map all the copy jobs?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

From my perspective, since the original ("source") backup jobs remain in backup console, you won't have to remap existing backup copy jobs. Once new restore point appears, backup copy should start transferring it to target location without any issues.

Thanks.