Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Kung Stalle
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Staffan Nilsson

Adding another repository

Post by Kung Stalle »

Hello!
I have just added another repository and will from now on have two repositorys. The old is full and i'm about to swich over the jobs to the new, empty, repository any day. My question is (even though I thing I know the answer), is the backup jobs going to create all 20 restorepoints on the new repository aswell? Or will the 19 older still reside on the old repository and only 1 will be created on the new (asuming I use the same job).

As I said I think I know the answer but I just want to be shure.

Thanks in advance!

Staffan Nilsson
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Adding another repository

Post by foggy »

Staffan, first, if you just want to edit the jobs to point them to the new repository, you need to remove backup files from the backup console prior to that. After that the jobs will create new full backups in the new repository, leaving all the previous backup files in the old repository intact. Then they continue to create backups according to the specified retention settings.

However, if I were you, I would separate your jobs into those that would continue to point to the old repository and those that start utilize the new one. For the latter you can follow this procedure to move the backups to the new repository. This will allow to save some space as well as have all the restore points registered and managed by Veeam B&R console.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Probably, the easiest way would be to clone the existing job. In the settings of the "clone" job, you can change the "target" repository without any issues. Thanks.
Kung Stalle
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Staffan Nilsson

Post by Kung Stalle »

Ok, then splitting the jobs (I have like 15ich) into two "groups" (like 7 to the old repo and 8 to the new) would be the least spaceconsuming.

I Think I got it! :-D
We will find out when i'm done!

Thanks alot!

Staffan
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You're welcome. Let us know if any further assistance is required.