Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
drew.green@tjtpa.com
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Drew Green

Bulk Instant VM Recovery

Post by drew.green@tjtpa.com »

According to the User Guide (specifically, this page: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... overy.html), it is possible to process multiple VMs for Instant Recovery at once, yet I can't figure out how to do this. If I select multiple VMs from my listed backups, I don't have the option for Instant Recovery, and if I start the Recovery Wizard and choose Instant VM Recovery, I am unable to select multiple VMs, even from the same job. What am I missing, or is this a bug?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Bulk Instant VM Recovery

Post by tsightler »

As far as I know, it actually isn't possible except via Powershell.
drew.green@tjtpa.com
Enthusiast

tsightler wrote:As far as I know, it actually isn't possible except via Powershell.
Based on everything I've tried, that would make sense. It'd be nice if that was clearly stated anywhere...
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I should probably clarify my statement. As far as I know, Instant Recovery of VMware VMs cannot be done in bulk except via Powershell. For Hyper-V, Instant Recovery of multiple VMs is supported via the GUI. I'm thinking this may be a bug in the manual due to that inconsistency. Either that, or there's some way to do the same for VMware Instant Recovery that I just don't know about. I've previously done it with Powershell, although it gets a quite bit slower as more than 3-4 VMs are restored via this method.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

tsightler wrote:I'm thinking this may be a bug in the manual due to that inconsistency. Either that, or there's some way to do the same for VMware Instant Recovery that I just don't know about.
No, seems to be no way to do this via GUI for VMware. I'll pass this to the team responsible for technical documentation.
drew.green@tjtpa.com
Enthusiast

If you're passing notes on, would you also request the technical team add this feature to the VMware version?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

This might be an intentional limitation to avoid the users starting multiple VMs at the same time, and ending up with all of them timing out.