Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
atmorell
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Asbjørn Morell

Checking destination PrepStorageForWrite failed

Post by atmorell »

Hello,

Does anyone know what is causing this error?

Checking destination PrepStorageForWrite failed Client error: Connection limit is exceeded for replica host "server.domian.local". Wait until concurrent operations involving this host complete, then try again.

We have one replication job with multiple servers - destination VMFS is on a NFS/NAS. I tried to google the message, but with no result.

Best regards.
Asbjørn Morell
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Checking destination PrepStorageForWrite failed

Post by Gostev »

Hello Asbjørn, as far as I understand you are replication to ESXi server. ESXi has certain management connection limit which is "shared" between vCenter server, VIC connectins, and 3rd party management tools like ours. If there are too many of those, our product is unable to create new one to perform the replication.

I recommend that you do the following:
1. Ensure you do not have other multiple operation with the said host: other backup/copy/replication/failover jobs involving it, management connections from other administrative consoles, and so on. If you are at the testing stage, it may be the case.
2. Try to restart Veeam Backup user interface, and starting the job again.
3. I also recommend that you obtain and install a patch for version 4.1 our support (it was released last week). This has some additional improvements/optimizations around ESXi connection management, so it should help to improve the situation as well.

Thank you!
atmorell
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Asbjørn Morell

Post by atmorell »

Hello,

We are running ESX 3.5 - not ESXi. Could you please post a link for the patch? I downloaded and configured Veeam about a week ago (18/12/2009), so it might be the lastest version.

Best regards.
Asbjørn Morell
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

atmorell wrote:We are running ESX 3.5 - not ESXi. Could you please post a link for the patch? I downloaded and configured Veeam about a week ago (18/12/2009), so it might be the lastest version.
We do not distribute patches publicly, they are only accessible through support for customers on maintenance, and only after support engineer verifies that you are having the exact issue that patch resolves.

In your case, the patch is not needed, because you are not running ESXi on target. To resolve the issue in your case, you need to provide the service console connection settings for your ESX 3.5 host in the host propeties. To do that, find the host in Veeam Backup Servers tree, and right-click it to access the hosts properties. Then provide the credentails for service console access on the corresponding tab.